BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
They make a good show, you guys should check their movie turbos and temples its on youtube.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
So does this just prove that a snorkel style intake to a UNOBSTRUCTED hole in your bumper is the only thing that will give you minimal gains? If so, w/e :dunno: Sounds about right to me

·
Registered
669 Posts
So does this just prove that a snorkel style intake to a UNOBSTRUCTED hole in your bumper is the only thing that will give you minimal gains? If so, w/e :dunno: Sounds about right to me
Pretty much, Iceman dyno'd the cosmos racing v2 long tube CAI for +7whp SAE corrected. No modification to the bumper. I'm running the same intake and the sound alone is worth the $200 let alone the 7whp. Also you will get a better throttle response with a REAL CAI over a stock airbox.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Pretty much, Iceman dyno'd the cosmos racing v2 long tube CAI for +7whp SAE corrected. No modification to the bumper. I'm running the same intake and the sound alone is worth the $200 let alone the 7whp. Also you will get a better throttle response with a REAL CAI over a stock airbox.
Well thats great fvcking news because I just ordered mine on friday and it ships out tomorrow. Got it in black, and I DONT plan on modding the bumper because I have the OEM break duct in there. That will suffice if I put the filter there correct?:hmm:

With the cams and headers I hope I get 7+ wheel. YAY

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Not surprised. I would imagine the intake manifold and/or the head itself are larger bottlenecks in most cars. The only car I've seen a filter make a big increase was the mazdaspeed 3

·
Registered
972 Posts
I thought it was pretty well known that unless its a true cold air intake, the short ram type intakes are pretty useless for power.

Honestly, I'd say the benefit of a true cold air intake is not so much the increased peak power but from extending/solving some heat soak issues to help make reliable/consistent power.

·
Registered
323Ci 2000, 325i 2006
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, is it legal to modify the engine* in general in the US or most states? :hmm:

Those Aussies speak of it being illegal in their state (*to replace airfilter-system). And in Sweden it's for the most part not a really
good idea to modify cars built after some year in the 90ies because the cars might not be approved in the yearly car
condition control (safety & emissions) which is required for the car to be operational legally.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well thats great fvcking news because I just ordered mine on friday and it ships out tomorrow. Got it in black, and I DONT plan on modding the bumper because I have the OEM break duct in there. That will suffice if I put the filter there correct?:hmm:

With the cams and headers I hope I get 7+ wheel. YAY
I didn't need to mod mine at all because of the brake duct on the mtech1 (mtech2 works as well). Good choice, I try and plug the cosmos intake as much as I can because I honestly love it. I had to move the headlight forward a few inches to get the filter in there then re-installed headlight after if was sitting pretty :thumbup: I think Iceman's dyno was on a 2.5 motor as well so the gains might be greater on the 3.0 :woot:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Cosmo racing intake also after reading the reviews. I'll be swapping that in for my K&N but I am also ordering Stett Performance intake boots in black to go with the intake. Then my intake should be bullet proof and I won't have to worry about changing lower intake boots every now and then.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I didn't need to mod mine at all because of the brake duct on the mtech1 (mtech2 works as well). Good choice, I try and plug the cosmos intake as much as I can because I honestly love it. I had to move the headlight forward a few inches to get the filter in there then re-installed headlight after if was sitting pretty :thumbup: I think Iceman's dyno was on a 2.5 motor as well so the gains might be greater on the 3.0 :woot:

Mine is going on a 2.5l with mtech2 front w/ brake duct so no modification necessary :D... also, I dont have xenons so I can slip the intake in better hopefully. If not, ill loosen the headlight
I just bit the bullet and ordered a Cosmo racing intake also after reading the reviews. I'll be swapping that in for my K&N but I am also ordering Stett Performance intake boots in black to go with the intake. Then my intake should be bullet proof and I won't have to worry about changing lower intake boots every now and then.
"Cosmo"
http://www.cosmoracing.com/
or
"Cosmos"
http://cosmosracing.com/
Hopefully the latter, thats what i have coming... :woot:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, Cosmos. Typo on my part. It does not ship til next week though :/

Guess it doesn't matter anyways since Stett is back ordered. This is the second time I've ordered from them and have been told black is out of stock. Then they try to sell me red or blue. At least it wasn't like the first order I placed. Didn't hear from them for three weeks and I called and then they told me it was out of stock and they thought someone had called me. If someone had called me, you wouldnt be asking me what I would like to do. Is this how they always do business? :rolleyes: I emailed them back right away yesterday asking what the ETA was and still have not heard back. Of course. Might be canceling another order.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mine is going on a 2.5l with mtech2 front w/ brake duct so no modification necessary :D... also, I dont have xenons so I can slip the intake in better hopefully. If not, ill loosen the headlight

Mine were halogens too when i was installing it, still had to move headlight forward about an inch, not a big deal though takes about 10 minutes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts