BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 318CI M Sport with standard BMW Business single cd headunit and 6 cd changer in the boot. I would like to have an mp3 capable system but leave the head unit in place. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the boot changer with an mp3 unit which will integrate with the standard head unit and multi-function wheel? Also, could the boot changer be left in place and another changer added under the glove box, for example, which again integrates with the exisiting system?

·
Registered
704 Posts
why not just get the mp3 OEM headunit? it will look identical to whichever one tiy have now, except it will play mp3's too... they're not cheap, but with all of the other things you'd have to do to get the exact setup you want, might as well go with OEM... plus you can sell your current HU and gain some of that money back... of course, everything integrates together because it's OEM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a possiblity I had not considered. Any idea how much these are and the bsst place to get one?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just been looking up these DICE units. It seems to be what I am looking for. Do they integrate as well as claimed? Where is the black box unit in the pictures fitted?

·
Registered
704 Posts
There is some stuff here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/

It's pretty pricey for the OEM MP3 head unit... But if you really want MP3 cd's specifically, this is the way to go. If you found one used (like on this site, etc.), you can do a lot better... I bought my OEM cd player HU from a fellow fanatic.

I don't know much about DICE, but if you have iPod, that would be a good way to add mp3's to your sound, without affecting the rest of the system...

·
Banned
241 Posts
The DICE unit works great with your factory head unit, but you will loose your factory changer when you install the DICE module.

Here's a video of how the DICE unit works with a factory head unit.

I've found that if you have a large music library, navigating the iPod solely through the factory radio and steering wheel controls is a bit cumbersome. The iPod's controls are better suited for more direct searches. If you think this might apply to you too, then you'll want to look at the spec.dock we offer with the DICE unit. The spec.dock is an integrated iPod mount that looks stock.

Here's a photo of it in an e46.

If you want to find out more info on the DICE unit here's the direct link for it on our website.

BMW DICE iPod kit for E46

We're also giving forum members a $12 discount on the DICE kit, just use the coupon code FORUMDICE at checkout.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have just been looking up these DICE units. It seems to be what I am looking for. Do they integrate as well as claimed? Where is the black box unit in the pictures fitted?
The Dice unit plugs into the wires connect to the CD changer in the "boot." As a result, the head unit believes that it's interfacing with the CD changer because the Dice unit is emulating the changer. This allows you to control the iPod with the controls on the steering wheel.

The Dice unit has been receiving near-universal praise on this site. :str8pimpi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts