E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building a box to hold a shallow-mount sub woofer under the passenger front seat of my 2002 325iT. It looks like it will fit but will block what I think are vents that shoot air under the seat to the passenger compartment. The vent part is 51478204106, and it comes down off from the center console and flattens out under the carpet (see pic).

It looks to me like if I block the vents it will just shunt more air to the drivers' side like when you shut the dash vents, or is there more trickery here?
Bumper Musical instrument accessory Tool Bicycle part Wood

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,971 Posts
You can remove the floor ducts. Then use that silver foil HVAC tape to seal off the connection point on the bottom of the heater plenum.

E30 318 did not have these. 325 did. There was a cover for the cheaper model.

·
Premium Member
11,971 Posts
It was something somewhat new on/about the E30 chassis. The cheaper cars (316/318) didn't get. Now all cars (mostly) have them.
Caveat: The carpet has stretched a little from years over the ducting. With it gone, it may be a little wrinkly for some time. But there's more room now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'm going to drop the box for the sub down between the two cross rails for the passenger seat supports. So all I might need to do is cut the vents short just before they pass under the front seat rail, and seal them there. But if I need extra volume I could make an extension that passes forward under the seat rail, in which case I would have to make up some volume. Heck, the factory used styrofoam, so why not a little extra?

·
Premium Member
11,971 Posts
I think I'm going to drop the box for the sub down between the two cross rails for the passenger seat supports. So all I might need to do is cut the vents short just before they pass under the front seat rail, and seal them there. But if I need extra volume I could make an extension that passes forward under the seat rail, in which case I would have to make up some volume. Heck, the factory used styrofoam, so why not a little extra?
Atta boy, a thinker!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm thinking of building a box to hold a shallow-mount sub woofer under the passenger front seat of my 2002 325iT. It looks like it will fit but will block what I think are vents that shoot air under the seat to the passenger compartment. The vent part is 51478204106, and it comes down off from the center console and flattens out under the carpet (see pic).

It looks to me like if I block the vents it will just shunt more air to the drivers' side like when you shut the dash vents, or is there more trickery here?
few ways to improve bass without fabrication : change all the sound system with pre made kit, new radio/ android with built in amp or just external amp ? Why would you want to shake your passenger's a** lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm upgrading the electronics as well, but they can't supply bass without a speaker. Thus the subwoofer under the seat. The wiring is simple enough once you break-out from the factory harness in the trunk so I figured I'd just set it up my self. And I wanted to try a real subwoofer, and don't mind the metalwork.

Out of curiosity, where'd you find a kit? Bavauto doesn't support the e46 chassis other than a speaker upgrade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts