BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that replacing the stock amp with a higher quality amp will give you better sound and power, but without wanting to buy a new amp and speakers set (yet)...

would it be possible to set up (2) HK amps running separate channels (vertical bi-amping, I believe) to increase volume on factory speakers at minimal cost? Anyone have experience with a vertical bi-amp setup? What would be the pros/cons of this setup, if it's possible.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work, especially sorting the wiring, and bridging the amps. You would be better to replace the amp with a more modern multi channel Alpine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I assume you are not talking about bridging channels to double the power to the speakers. I do not know if the HK amps were designed to do that. I doubt it. To bi-amp, you would need double up on all the speakers that you already have. So, if you currently have 10 speakers, to bi-amp, you would need 20 speakers. 1 amp powers 10 speakers, the 2nd amp powers the other 10 speakers. Also, you would have to modify the harnesses so that the signals are split between the 2 amps and run new wiring to all speakers. Sounds like a lot of work just to increase the volume of speakers that do not sound that great to begin with. Now, if you were to buy aftermarket speakers and amps, and you wanted to bi-amp, I say go for it! Most of the good component speakers out there have options to bi-amp on the crossovers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sounds like a good idea.
:hmm: serious or joking?

I assume you are not talking about bridging channels to double the power to the speakers. I do not know if the HK amps were designed to do that. I doubt it. To bi-amp, you would need double up on all the speakers that you already have. So, if you currently have 10 speakers, to bi-amp, you would need 20 speakers. 1 amp powers 10 speakers, the 2nd amp powers the other 10 speakers. Also, you would have to modify the harnesses so that the signals are split between the 2 amps and run new wiring to all speakers.
Well I may have mispoken, but I thought vertical bi-amping would be bridging the two amps and having one run passenger side, and the other run drivers side (in essence doubling the power going to the speakers). Would that be so difficult (just messing with the harness for the most part, right?)? Do the HK amps have the capability of bridging channels like that? It would seem like the speakers should be able to handle more power (from what I remember they are only getting like 20-30 w rms per channel, right?)

Sounds like a lot of work just to increase the volume of speakers that do not sound that great to begin with. Now, if you were to buy aftermarket speakers and amps, and you wanted to bi-amp, I say go for it! Most of the good component speakers out there have options to bi-amp on the crossovers.
With a sub added, I really don't think the HK speakers sound THAT terrible (at least not bad enough in my mind to drop the $700+ on a system I'd need to justify completely gutting the current one). This would be a band-aid method to try and get a bit more power and less distortion at higher volumes from the HK speakers. It would also retain the 10-speaker set up and factory cross-overs so that I wouldn't have to replace the amp and speakers and crossovers.

I guess if this worked, people with BSW stage 1 packages could benefit from this to give their speakers a bit more power, at least until the Stage 2 is released...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Even if it were possible to bridge the HK amps - about which no documentation exists, the wiring would be equally as complicated as fitting an aftermarket amp and some suitable crosoovers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts