E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I was driving home today and had the sun roof open to get some fresh air. Upon getting home I got out of the car and forgot to close the sun roof. So I was going to use that cool feature with the key and turning it to the locked position and holding it there to close it. Upon trying it out, I notice that I no longer had a key hole. The entire thing was just missing. So I'm thinking someone tried to pick it with something and it just popped out. Either that or it's mighty cold here in jersey the past few weeks and the cold got to it, and it popped out. (water getting in there freezing and stuff) Has this happend to anyone before? I"m going to assume that someone tried to jack the car. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, and see what's up and get it fixed.

I'm going to bring it into my garage to get a closer look. . .

grrr..

M

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
Sounds like someone attempted to jack your car :sad: Its widely known that once you pop the cylinder lock, the door can be unlocked with a flip of the finger :thumbdwn:

You might want to check to see if there is anything missing from your car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was from the time I got jacked at Ikea and didn't notice. . . when that happened. . . they stole my cd's my owners manual (heard some dealers use to put the spare in there) and some other items. GRRr. . . Going to look at it close now.

M

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think we need a NJ car jacked "driver key hole drilled" support group...

Is there anything we can do if we all send something to BMW. This is ridiculous that they are not responding to this type of a security issue on a $40K car.

This is getting to be very sad. I am scared to visit my parents in NJ because I dont want my car jacked. I have the key cover replacement on order and I am going to channge my alarm setting by the dealer soon so it can only be disabled by the key fob.

Can we do some sort of petition to get BMW to respond to this???

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
upon closer inspection, it's a break in. . .the door handle is all scratched up!!

grrr

Is there anything that I should do? This is the first break in I have. ..

I'm going to start with the cops. . .

then insurance?

·
Registered
36 Posts
psymon said:
I have the key cover replacement on order and I am going to channge my alarm setting by the dealer soon so it can only be disabled by the key fob.
Can you explain the alarm setting in more detail, I think I may be interested in doing the same thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Flingaz.. I have not had it done yet but here is my underestanding.

The way the alarm is set by default, anytime you turn the key lock cylinder, the alarm shuts off thinking you inserted a key to open the door(valet key or the plastic key). The problem is, these jackoffs are turning the key lock cylinder with a screwdriver and the alarm shuts off and you pop the lock. open the door ..no problem.

You can have your Alarm reprogrammed to only be disabled by the keyless entry key. So although it would be annoying id you just used to key to open the door becasue the alarm would go off. But I think 95% of the time you use the keyless entry anyhow and this would not be the issue.

Again I have not done this yet but I believe that is how it works.

·
moderation in all things
877 Posts
PowerDrift said:
Sounds like someone attempted to jack your car :sad: Its widely known that ... blah, blah, blah... You might want to check to see if there is anything missing from your car.
it may be widely known, but please don't advertise it in a public forum...

moderators?

·
Registered
167 Posts
In some spots in certain cities (NYC I know of) your remote lock/unlock won't work... so if you live in a city it might not be such a good idea to program it to be unlocked only by the remote key unless you're sure it'll work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
kyoko said:
Hey,

I was driving home today and had the sun roof open to get some fresh air. Upon getting home I got out of the car and forgot to close the sun roof. So I was going to use that cool feature with the key and turning it to the locked position and holding it there to close it. Upon trying it out, I notice that I no longer had a key hole. The entire thing was just missing. So I'm thinking someone tried to pick it with something and it just popped out. Either that or it's mighty cold here in jersey the past few weeks and the cold got to it, and it popped out. (water getting in there freezing and stuff) Has this happend to anyone before? I"m going to assume that someone tried to jack the car. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, and see what's up and get it fixed.

I'm going to bring it into my garage to get a closer look. . .

grrr..

M
2 Morning's ago (3/6) here in NJ, i posted the same thing man. It's happening to alot of us

Did you check and see if your owners manual was gone. Looks like the same routine with us. :dunno:

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
kyoko said:
yeah. . .My owners manual and my cd's . . . but the good thing was they didn't find my wallet in the armrest. . .
hahaha, dumbass crooks :lmao:

but, its a good thing that they didn't get it :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts