BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have SCOURED Google and these forums for an answer, so sorry in advance if I missed it.

Anyways, I have a 2000 323i and long story short, it overheated due to the idler pulley breaking, so now I'm replacing the expansion tank.

When I went to pull out the old atf thermostat (underneath the expansion tank), it was so brittle that every piece I tried to pull on just broke off and it refused to budge, so I bought an entirely new bracket that the expansion tank sits on.

Forward now to my problem - the notch that lines up with the housing for the thermostat in the new bracket will not sit flush with the rim. I have tried everything and it just will not sit properly. Any tips or ideas? OEM parts.

·
Registered
2016 328xi Sport (N26)
228 Posts
Mine also crumbled to pieces. Could barely get it out. Such a poor design.

I don't know what you mean exactly about not being flush. Did you by BMW or OE components? If so it should be fine. Don't forget that the reservoir goes over the thing that has the thermo in it... so it is the reservoir that seals the hole and not the thermo. I think it is ok if you don't have a perfect seal with the thermo.

As long as you can get the reservoir down all the way, you should be fine imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what you mean exactly about not being flush. Did you by BMW or OE components? If so it should be fine.
By "not flush" i mean, its not being held at all. I can literally turn the bracket and the thermostat will fall right out. The notch on it that lines up with the housing is about half an inch higher than it should be.

·
Registered
2016 328xi Sport (N26)
228 Posts
take a pic. But yeah... it is not a tight fit... nothing holds it in except gravity and the tank that goes over it. the black cross goes on bottom. The notch slides into a little slit which only prevents it from turning. If you would flip the bracket upside down it would fall out... provided the tank isn't in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
take a pic. But yeah... it is not a tight fit... nothing holds it in except gravity and the tank that goes over it. the black cross goes on bottom. The notch slides into a little slit which only prevents it from turning. If you would flip the bracket upside down it would fall out... provided the tank isn't in place.
I will when I get a chance, but that's the thing. It turns freely. The notch isnt making contact with anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts