BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do these cars start breaking? ALso the bmw service department is highly busy, booked for months, thats fishy.

I have 2 more years warranty and 50,000 is around the corner. What should I expect and how much?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
well, if you follow the maintenance schedule your BMW tells you, you don't have to expect large bills for another 100000 miles at least :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
125k, what did you do so far in terms of maintenance?

However, a buddy of mines 90,000 and he had 3 repairs for 1k each.

·
ninja edit
134 Posts
I had to bring my car in for a bad coil.. it had only 1k miles on the car. The BMW roadside assistance guy told me so many horror stories about BMW's 1999+ ones. Makes me feel worried about my M :sad:

Will-

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i just got 03-04 consumer reports, the bmw's and benz are rated the worst on reliability especially our e46s.

The service dept aren't nice people also.

Them germans are dumb!

·
Registered
968 Posts
hardcoremofo said:
Ok, i just got 03-04 consumer reports, the bmw's and benz are rated the worst on reliability especially our e46s.

The service dept aren't nice people also.

Them germans are dumb!
Look up my '99 328i in the back. Last year I check and mine still rated above average for reliability --'twas "recommended".

And I must come to their defense -- my service folk are cool and the gang.:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
my car broke down at 4000 miles. (03 325i) I had some computer and tranny problem. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. THey just gave it back to me and said.. good luck..

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
6500 miles and 4 months (havent driven the past month). I hope mine holds up to the 50k mark so I can s/c it, or hopefully by then, drop a turbo in it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
42000 miles so far and no problems on my 2000 323ci.

i have 235000 on my 88 325is. I bought it used with 130000 miles and the Engine is fine, but after 200000 i had to replace the Radiator, it has a weird noise at the rear, might be the differential. and just minor repairs here and there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think if they are well taken care of they can last 200k +. I wouldnt worry about the engine/tranny (unless you got a $hitty one from the factory and it broke obviously early like less than 20k miles). The germans strong point is the mechanical points of the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the 88's are strong while the e46 seem weak. Guys having problems under 20k miles is ridiculous. That shouldn't happen at all.

The most suspicious items are their sensors like the check engine light. You have to drop 1k to 2k just to turn that off while the bmw mechanics just press a button and eats donuts all day til you pick it up.

Have anyone heard of Niello BMW? They will make money off a bumm when they see one.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts