E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just had a set of Kuhmo KH11s mounted on my rims with the OUTSIDE indicator on the outside of each rim. However, when the rims/tires are mounted on the car, the tread pattern is opposite on the left hand side to the right hand side. One side is wedge up and the other side is wedge down. I've know that the KH11s are ASYMMETRIC tires and not directional. My question is, is this normal for the tread patterns to be different on each side of the car for asymmetric non-directional tires? :dunno: Thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
It sounds like although they are designated to be asymmetric, their tread pattern has some directional elements. If they have already said that this doesn't influence handling (which they did by not declaring them directional tires), then it shouldn't make a difference. It just might look a little strange.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karl said:
It sounds like although they are designated to be asymmetric, their tread pattern has some directional elements. If they have already said that this doesn't influence handling (which they did by not declaring them directional tires), then it shouldn't make a difference. It just might look a little strange.
Yeah, it does look strange. It looks like the tread on the left side on my car should be upside down. Here's what the tread looks like:

Kuhmo KH11

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct, nothing is wrong here, just an slightly unusual tread pattern setup. Kumho designed it to be this way, so no worries. :thumbup:

Tires
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/tires/index.jsp
Thanks guys. It's still a little strange to me, but what do I know. As long as I got the :thumbup: from Gary, I'm good to go. BTW, I picked up the tires myself at your South Bend facilities. Nice place. When I was there, a Porsche club was renting out your track for the day. :bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.