E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bit of a backstory to get you guys up to speed so please bear with me. I have a 2001 325Ci 5 speed (living in the U.S.) that I purchased from a guy that originally bought the car in Canada (speedo is in kilometers). Instead of having a DSC button, there is an ASC button. Now there is a lot of conflicting information online about how to fully disable these systems so I've tried both ways. When I hold the ASC button (no matter how long) ONLY the yellow / ! \ light will show... (not the ! light and brake light as shown when disabling DSC)...

I've driven two drift events with this car and had the same exact tire setup each time. The first event I held the ASC button down for 15 seconds and the car drifted perfectly for the entire event, front tires were perfect and rears were bald after :thumbup: The second event I pressed the ASC button once without holding it and the front tires experienced horrible 'understeer' and got chunked to pieces :banghead:... Now I think that although I show no light when I hold the button down, it still fully disables my ASC. It handles skids completely differently when I hold the button vs. press it once. If anybody can share some information on what this freak ASC system is it would be greatly appreciated. For now I'm just going to continue to hold it down because it has shown in my experience to fully disable the system. Thanks!

Disclaimer: Don't tell me not to drift because it's a BMW and snobby snob snob rich guy doesn't like to have fun :thanks:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
not sure if it's any different, but for cars with DSC (the newer system) you need to press and hold (or press once, then press and hold, i don't remember) to fully deactivate the system. When the system is fully deactivated, the DSC and "brake" light will both light up yellow insteal of just the dsc/ triangle light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure if it's any different, but for cars with DSC (the newer system) you need to press and hold (or press once, then press and hold, i don't remember) to fully deactivate the system. When the system is fully deactivated, the DSC and "brake" light will both light up yellow insteal of just the dsc/ triangle light
Thanks for the advice Eneka. I tried that on the way out this morning and it just turned the light back off. Click once, press and hold. Turns the light off :hmm:

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you have only ASC and DONT HAVE DSC, then you only have traction control and the ASC button works in two ways:
Press it once and the traction control is off until you press it again or turn engine off.
Press and hold it down for like 10 seconds and it will be off until you restart the engine.

DSC works in different ways. ASC button has only these 2 options.

edit: ASC+T button would work in the same way too i think. (addition of the letter T makes the car to brake the rear tires when they are spinning unevenly, kind of an electronic LSD)

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Of course. But then it sucks to dd. A proper lsd makes these cars into true sports cars, the investment is just huge. A lot of chassis and suspension mods are also useless without a lsd, which many people don't realize. Like a stiff rear sway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have only ASC and DONT HAVE DSC, then you only have traction control and the ASC button works in two ways:
Press it once and the traction control is off until you press it again or turn engine off.
Press and hold it down for like 10 seconds and it will be off until you restart the engine.

DSC works in different ways. ASC button has only these 2 options.

edit: ASC+T button would work in the same way too i think. (addition of the letter T makes the car to brake the rear tires when they are spinning unevenly, kind of an electronic LSD)
Thank you, That's how it worked for me. Just had a lot of weird info on the web and user manual didn't help either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly. You have to do a hard Scandinavian flick or give it a good clutch kick. I'm considering welding it in the future but this is my daily driver. The diffs are pretty easy to swap out so I could just get one welded and keep the open. Swap it in for events. LSD is way too expensive for me. I'm in college, not much extra cash at the moment.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Exactly. You have to do a hard Scandinavian flick or give it a good clutch kick. I'm considering welding it in the future but this is my daily driver. The diffs are pretty easy to swap out so I could just get one welded and keep the open. Swap it in for events. LSD is way too expensive for me. I'm in college, not much extra cash at the moment.
Yes. At the price points of these cars vs the LSD welded is the way to go IMO.

Some E46s are worth on the order of as much as a good diff.

I do some open diff gravel/snow sliding on occasion. Dirt road hooning as well.

Disclaimer: Don't tell me not to drift because it's a BMW and snobby snob snob rich guy doesn't like to have fun :thanks:
You haven't been to Eastern Europe. Oldas<sp>s BMWs are the most popular drift machines for amateurs, by far. Not 240/Silvias, not miatas, not RWD corollas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. At the price points of these cars vs the LSD welded is the way to go IMO.

Some E46s are worth on the order of as much as a good diff.

I do some open diff gravel/snow sliding on occasion. Dirt road hooning as well.

You haven't been to Eastern Europe. Oldas<sp>s BMWs are the most popular drift machines for amateurs, by far. Not 240/Silvias, not miatas, not RWD corollas.
I haven't.. yet! Lol yep all 240s here in 'Murica

·
Registered
E46 M43B19 Inline-4 Year 2000
160 Posts
5 years later:
ASC - only brakes the rear wheels during straight line acceleration to keep the wheels from spinning and losing traction
DSC - combines those features with additional ability to individual brake each of the 4 wheels is slippage (oversteer/understeer) is sensed in a corner to bring you back in line

·
Administrator
20,303 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.