BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 323ia 375k KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hoping to seek some help from ya'll, since I've been all over the internet and different forums, and can't seem to find somebody with the same problem, or a thread with an atleast semi-conclusive answer.

Yesterday while driving I head a weird intermittent whiining sound, from under the car, i didn't think much of it untill it stoppped - The three lights in the title turned on, the speedo started jumping up and down, before it stopped working completely, and the fuel level indicator went up and down, but now seems to have steadied. The odometer does not work, and the average consumptiion is steadily climbing upwards (makes sense, since the car does not think I'm going anywhere)

To summarize:
  • The three lights
  • Cruise control WORKING
  • No speedometer
  • No odometer
  • No OBD-II codes comming up on my code reader
From what I've been able to find, this is likely an ABS sensor gone bad, but some people say back left, and some say back right. Which one would it be?

I've also found people saying that it has to do with the steering angle sensor, but I don't see how this plays into my odometer and spedometer?
I did however recently have one of my lower control arms changed, and thus the steering wheel misaligned a little to the right, obviously planning on getting an alignment done to fix this, but thought I'd mention it, if it in any way plays a part.

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you checked for stored codes? That would be my first place to check.

Google your codes and see what people say they are.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,596 Posts
Which year and model E46?

There are no OBD-II codes coming up on your code reader because it cannot access the ABS module or instrument cluster.

My advice:
  1. Get a K+DCAN cable.
  2. Set up BMW Standard Tools software on a Windows laptop (see link in my signature).
  3. Use INPA to connect to your ABS module to read the error codes and inspect live data.
That will show you what the ABS module found wrong and exactly which signals are missing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Live in a harsh winter area...reluctor ring probably rusted and disfigured if not broken...just a shot in the dark.
And damaged speed sensors.
Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 323ia 375k KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Live in a harsh winter area...reluctor ring probably rusted and disfigured if not broken...just a shot in the dark.
And damaged speed sensors.
Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
I've seen this "speed sensor" thrown around alot, is it the same as an ABS sensor, or is it two different parts?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,596 Posts
I've seen this "speed sensor" thrown around alot, is it the same as an ABS sensor, or is it two different parts?
Well, there are many sensors that feed data into the ABS module for the various stability control functions. None of them are called ABS sensors really. Each wheel has a speed sensor, there are brake pressure sensors, a yaw sensor, and others.

Have a read through this document for all the details.

·
Registered
2000 323ia 375k KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there are many sensors that feed data into the ABS module for the various stability control functions. None of them are called ABS sensors really. Each wheel has a speed sensor, there are brake pressure sensors, a yaw sensor, and others.

Have a read through this document for all the details.

May be a translation thing, we call this an ABS sensor in Denmark. Is this what you call a speed sensor?

·
Registered
2000 323ia 375k KM
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that looks like a speed sensor.
Alrighty, then that's cleared. I've found that the danish terms for vehicle parts are often english words, but overly simplified as to what is often the issue; i.e ABS light is on, most likely a faulty ABS sensor (speed sensor).

Thanks for the reply!

Still hoping for more inputs and suggestions :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts