BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sounds like a nice kt and a good price....but this sounds a little bit scary...

"No software is required and stock fuel injectors are used."

it was my understanding the problem w/ all the s/c kits was software not being done correctly, so how in the world could you just leave ecu stock....and as a former turbo honda owner, i know firsthand the importance of proper air/fuel....so how can you double the airflow but not increase injectors or remap fuel to accomodate all the added air intake....

·
Registered
547 Posts
the stock injectors put out more than enough fuel. The kit works with 2 piggyback boxes and a RRFPR to increase the fuel. My A/F ratio is almost perfect and looks a lot better then when the car was stock. Call Jon @ GSM @ 910-791-4844. He can answer all of your questions and explain in detail.

Alan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cabrioguy - hows the change to the 3.15 diff? - do you find it revs too much, and was it a stock BMW dif - I have a manual 323i and am thinking about getting a diff out of an auto

cheers, Simon

·
Registered
547 Posts
I changed to a 3:15 because the convertible comes with a 3:46 and the gearing was too short for the supercharger. To get the most out of the blower you need to stay in gear as long as possible to allow boost to build up. I swapped my diff with someone who has a 325. since he is NA he wanted the 3:46. I think you have a 3:07 diff?? the 330 auto has a 3:38 and the 325 has a 3:46. 323 verts have a 3:46

Alan

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cabrioguy...any negative things to know...aside from the cost have you had any problems w/ the kit...im very hesitant to do a s/c on my 323 cuz i might feel likei could have just bought a 330 w/ bolt ons for the same performance, less headache, and ease of not having a heavy mod...thanks...Matt

·
Registered
547 Posts
no problems except getting it tuned in. Takes a little time. a 330 will give you 224hp at the crank. the ASA kit will give you close to 300 at the crank and will cost you a lot less then selling your 323 and buying a new 330. I fly by 330's in my car and they usually look very confused!:thumbup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Forced Induction mod questions

Forgive the newbism of this, but I've allways wondered.

When putting in some sort of an FI system in a car, how can it be made more certain that the components - the tranny, the cylinder heads, crankshaft, <insert a long list of parts in the same category the names of which I have not a clue about> that will all have to bear the increased force of the engine's newfound power have the capacity to do so?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothing is certainl....superchargers tend to be alot safer then turbos though as they are dealing w/ cool air not hot recycled air...also the boost does not fluctuate that a turbo would...i think the biggest concerns w/ s/c is clutch and tranny, as these pieces are definitely built to handle only certain levels of power...the bottom end too can be subject to injury but that is why an efficieent kit will maintain lower boost levels, even out air/fuel ration, and the asa kit is awesome cuz the intercooler keeps air temperature low...i am no expert but i used to have a turbo integra gsr so i know a little bit....

·
Registered
243 Posts
Who has done the install and tuning of the sc? Someone who has done that before or a newbie, but expirienced mechanic?

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Re: Forced Induction mod questions

ulairi said:
Forgive the newbism of this, but I've allways wondered.

When putting in some sort of an FI system in a car, how can it be made more certain that the components - the tranny, the cylinder heads, crankshaft, <insert a long list of parts in the same category the names of which I have not a clue about> that will all have to bear the increased force of the engine's newfound power have the capacity to do so?
Power loads during the combustion process are not centered on one point in the combustion cycle...instead it is a controlled "burning" of the air/fuel mix over a certain amount of degree rotation by the crankshaft => meaning, the explosion in the combustion chamber is not instantaneously focused on one point in the crank position, but rather spread out over the entire power stroke. Hence, even though a 323 SC may add 60% in overall power output, it is not adding the same amount of load or stress on the internal engine components. In fact peak cylinder pressures are only up by about 12-15%.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
samir, glad you chimed in on this one...what is your take on the asa kit and if you had a 323 what would you do...asa kit w/ exhaust, headers, uuc pulleys is what im thinking...5k could yield around 300 hp at engine no???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts