BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I will try to glue it, but if not, anyone have a repro they liked at a fair price?
Where?

·
Registered
79 Posts
One side of our was broken, I had luck using epoxy to fix it. It broke again shortly after due to the spring tension I believe I re-expoxy’ed and left out the spring on that side and it’s been fine ever since. Check amazon, that was my next step, this looked reasonable Astra-Depot Center Console Synthetic Leather Lid Armrest Cover + Car Drink Cup Holder + Coin Tray Storage Box for 1998-2006 E46 3-Series (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BT66JJD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TXiyFbVZCT5FW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Leaving the spring out is a great idea. But wife needs it to stay up and not flop down into the cup holder.

Delete is interesting idea. Got pics?

For now, I took it apart and jb weld the hoops back. I'll try to reinstall it later today.

If it breaks I'll prob just replace it with new or used.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Leaving the spring out is a great idea. But wife needs it to stay up and not flop down into the cup holder.

Delete is interesting idea. Got pics?

For now, I took it apart and jb weld the hoops back. I'll try to reinstall it later today.

If it breaks I'll prob just replace it with new or used.
Only one side was broke for me so I only left the spring out on the broken side and had the one still in on the other side. When the armrest is in the down position the springs work to lift the armrest kid to reveal the little storage unit underneath it, the springs do not hold the armrest up to use the cup holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it all fixed. Went smoothly. Let's see if it holds.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 740K km
538 Posts
It is temporary. It won't hold unfortunately, so you gonna visit scrap yeard.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is temporary. It won't hold unfortunately, so you gonna visit scrap yeard.
I leave the armrest up so there is little spring tension. If it breaks, I will buy new from eBay

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've had good luck with JB Weld's "Plaxtic Bonder" (urethane adhesive and several colors). My gut says it bonds better with plastics than epoxy. Also, yet to install, but bought Chinese replacement with leather top on ebay. Seems a quality part, good color match on the leather, and inexpensive. I'll can dig out info if interested.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why don't you install it? It will take you 15 minutes.

·
Registered
26,210 Posts
OP, not sure I have pics of the 'delete,' but I'm sure I don't have time to look for them! :) If one pops up, though, I'll send it along. Basically, you have the same console without the armrest...it's about an inch shorter and gives you access to the rear ashtray/bin. For me with a manual, it was much more comfortable driving too...that delete and the steering wheel cover 'removal' mod were the only two mods I did...not counting using a lawnmower filter to replace my SAP filter. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts