E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have an alarm. I want to install a simple one with shock/tilt sensor/door/trunk opening to protect some stereo upgrades I'm planning and alarm on entry.

I DO NOT WANT THE STOCK BMW ONE, so please dont recommend that one, thanks. I can get one to do what I want for much less, especially including the fee to get it activated. I've installed alarms before, so I have experience with most aspects of it.

My question is: Is it possible for me to have the alarm activate by pushing the "LOCK" button on my BMW key/remote (and how would I do this)? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
149 Posts
you can't

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not to be a little of a smart a.., but if you are so good at installing alarms, shouldn't you know that it would be impossible to program a BMW brand key fob to an aftermarket alarm, that of course unless you do the appropriate research in slternate alarm manufacturers that provide some insight into this since I am sure some brands may make a rather large profit if they integrated their alarm with the factory key! But I guess that is why you are asking the question in the first place!
:D :dunno:

·
Registered
0 Posts
To answer your question: yes it is possible to have your keyless entry romote activate and deactivate and aftermarket alarm.

This is done by installing what is referred by installers as "piggy-back alarms" and interfacing it with the keyless entry system.

What I mean by interface is that this after market module "sees" a "lock pulse" from the keyless entry system and arms the alarm and when it senses an "unlock pulse" it disarms it. See the logic.

If you go to a good mobile electronics shop with a seasoned intaller at bay the should know what you need to do this.

I believe DEI and Audiovox makes these "piggy-back" alarms.

Hopr that answers your question.

-Chairman

·
Registered
451 Posts
But what >I< would like to know is: can you set up a Remote Starter from your key fob AND with a manual tranny?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chairmanCC !

After getting no help from jackpayo (he doesnt know what the hell he is talking about and apparently didnt read my question very well), I checked around and found some help from a member of this board. Found a system from DEI that will arm and disarm with the lock/unlock action initiated by the BMW remote as you stated chairman (NOT directly controlled by the BMW remote as jackpayo wrongly assumed-duh! - did I say anything in my post about "programming" the factory remote to an aftermarket alarm - NO, I said activate, BIG DIFFERENCE) This way, I can install this one for about $50-60. Save some cash over $300 or so for factory (including activation)

Thanks chairmanCC for the non-smartass, helpful response!

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
Take a look of the current issue of bimmer magazine, I believe there was an ad for a system that plugs into the existing BMW wiring and offers better protection as well as remote starter option. The system is sold in the UK tho.

·
Big in Japan
1,120 Posts
Scott,
Im my experience with alarms and foldning mirros with aftermarket alarm situations, i DO NOT recommend using the aftermarket alarm with a key fob, because the car does not recognize a lock/unlock signal from the door lock, the fob, or the button in the car. You are left with a system that is easily shut off and diasarmed, and doesnt function well, i.e. the door lock button on the center console will arm and disarm your alarm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ScottV said:
Thanks chairmanCC !

After getting no help from jackpayo (he doesnt know what the hell he is talking about and apparently didnt read my question very well), I checked around and found some help from a member of this board. Found a system from DEI that will arm and disarm with the lock/unlock action initiated by the BMW remote as you stated chairman (NOT directly controlled by the BMW remote as jackpayo wrongly assumed-duh! - did I say anything in my post about "programming" the factory remote to an aftermarket alarm - NO, I said activate, BIG DIFFERENCE) This way, I can install this one for about $50-60. Save some cash over $300 or so for factory (including activation)

Thanks chairmanCC for the non-smartass, helpful response!

Yeah man, not trying to bust on you, I even admitted I was being a smart-ass, sorry bro, just must have got the bug from Bimmer.org or roadfly for a moment. I reminded myself why I left that forsaken place! Good luck in your work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.