E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 03 325i
Well since its been getting colder now, the sliptronic seems to be acting up again. In the morning I startup the car let it warmup for a min put it into drive and I can rev up to 4rpm!! and nothing happens then all of a sudden the gear clicks in. Iv been reading other people having the same problems but I never thought that it was a big deal becuase it was usually rev up to 2rpm and it would connect right away now it just seems like it takes forever for the gear to connect. Is this problem fixable? new transmission? anyways i think its come to a point where i should take it to the dealer, its been doing it ever since got the car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sunny31 said:
Well since its been getting colder now, the sliptronic seems to be acting up again. In the morning I startup the car let it warmup for a min put it into drive and I can rev up to 4rpm!! and nothing happens then all of a sudden the gear clicks in. Iv been reading other people having the same problems but I never thought that it was a big deal becuase it was usually rev up to 2rpm and it would connect right away now it just seems like it takes forever for the gear to connect. Is this problem fixable? new transmission? anyways i think its come to a point where i should take it to the dealer, its been doing it ever since got the car.
Im confused? Slip tronic? Are you talking about steptronic and its like "mis-shift"? :dunno:

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
BimmerFreak2k4 said:
Im confused? Slip tronic? Are you talking about steptronic and its like "mis-shift"? :dunno:
Sounds like in the cold his trans is slipping, hence he nicknamed it "sliptronic". It's just a joke.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah steptronic.. lol after reading other post here, its just sorta embedded the name "sliptronic" into my brain

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sunny31 said:
I had the same problem with it and took it to the dealship, they said it's a known issue and there is a recall for it, but only if the customer complains about it and brings the car back (or something, the service advisor showed me the problem documented by BMW) . Took couple days for them to fix it but it's good now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sunny31 said:
What did they fix? And did your dealership give you a bmw loaner?
Not sure what they fixed, didn't really pay attention when they :blah: explained it to me. All I told them was that the car does not shift into gear and they knew what I was talking about. They gave me a 325xi as a loaner.

·
-not a mod-
21,081 Posts
I had the same issue on my wagon, took it in and they replaced the entire transmisssion I believe. There is a thread all about it with the recall models and numbers.. Search for it.. I will see if I can locate it.

·
-not a mod-
21,081 Posts
================================================== ================
SIB 24 07 03 Feb 2004
Automatic Transmissions Service Engineering

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SIB24 07 03 dated December 2003

Subject
GM5: Delayed P to D Engagement on Cold Start

Model
E46 with GM5: 325iA, 325xiA, 325xiTA, 330xiA from 09/02 up to 12/03

E46 with GM5: 325CiA, 325CicA, 330iA, 330CiA, 330CicA, 325iTA, from 03/03 up to 12/03

E53 X5 3.0iA with GM5 from 09/02 up to 12/03

E83 X3 3.0iA with GM5 from introduction up to 12/03

Situation
Customer may complain of delayed P to D engagement (2 to 30 seconds) during the first cold start in the morning

Cause
Unfavorable tolerances of C1 clutch housing causing internal transmission pressure leakafter extended (overnight) parking

Correction
ON A CUSTOMER COMPLAINT BASIS ONLY, after verifying the above mentioned situation,
REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION WITH THE IMPROVED UNIT

For transmission replacement procedure refer to RA 24 00 048 found in BMW TIS.

Important

Gm5 automatic transmissions replaced under the terms of this Service Information DO NOT require any technical Hot Line authorization contact number.

PARTS INFORMATION

Part Number Description Quantity
07 12 9 900 047 M12x1.5 self locking nut for output flange 3
24 00 7 515 157 GM5 trans for 325xiA/xiTA from 09/02 up to 03/03 1
24 00 7 523 279 GM5 trans for 325xiA/xiTA from 03/03 1
24 00 7 515 279 GM5 trans for 330xiA from 09/02 up to 03/03 1
24 00 7 523 281 GM5 trans for 330xiA from 03/03; and X3 3.0A 1
================================================== ================

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
BudMan2003 said:
I had the same issue on my wagon, took it in and they replaced the entire transmisssion I believe. There is a thread all about it with the recall models and numbers.. Search for it.. I will see if I can locate it.
Hmm....a new tranny sounds nice!! :D

·
-not a mod-
21,081 Posts
I have had no problems yet since they fixed it.. I guess now that its getting cold I will see if it has lasted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts