E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to my insurance agent today and she told me that if I mod my car, my insurance is voided. She said they don't mind the appearance stuff. But if there is any modifying of the engine, drive train or suspension, then no insurance.

That in included a cold air intake (which performance wise, doesn't really do anything :tsk:). But the shocker for me that was if I dropped my car, I lose insurance! :banghead: How stupid is that?!

I was planning on dropping the car anyway and this won't stop me (once I have the money) :thumbup: , but I thought it was interesting...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hmmm... So, are they going to stop taking your money or they'll continue to get payments but you still have no insurance? Idiots.
Get another agent from another insurance. Before getting quote (or after but before making a deal) ask him the same questions.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've never heard of this before. Progressive even allows up to a grand of personalized parts as part of their coverage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never heard of this before. Progressive even allows up to a grand of personalized parts as part of their coverage.
+1

If you've done major repairs on your engine (a rebuild, for example), they even add a significant portion of that cost onto the value of your vehicle if you get into an accident and your car gets totalled. Not sure if other insurance companies do that, but I figured I'd point it out.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have state farm. When I got my 330 a few weeks ago I specifically asked my agent asked if aftermarket parts, etc were covered. He said while it can be a pain, make sure to keep all paper work/receipts and they will work with you to cover it depending on what it is. I think the employee you talked to is clueless...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is possible, that the agent doesn't know what she's talking about because I just switched agents. And they told me before that aftermarket parts were fine. This is the first time I've heard of this. I'm gonna look into it, and maybe switch to progressive...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Canada, was with Aviva when my car was stolen. They covered me for most aftermarket parts after I faxed them receipts. I had to wait forever to see any $$ but was pretty pleased after all was said and done.

·
Registered
301 Posts
my comments were not aimed at anything sarcastic, rather the national regulations on insurance and it being voided due to modifications to the car since they might differ from here in California

ps: i am a licensed insurance agent in California and yes, I have heard of campanies dropping the customer for modifications to their cars

·
:D
7,622 Posts
It is possible, that the agent doesn't know what she's talking about because I just switched agents. And they told me before that aftermarket parts were fine. This is the first time I've heard of this. I'm gonna look into it, and maybe switch to progressive...
i have state farm and i've never heard of this. i'd talk to someone else because i think that is bs

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Most likely agent doesnt know anything.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my comments were not aimed at anything sarcastic, rather the national regulations on insurance and it being voided due to modifications to the car since they might differ from here in California

ps: i am a licensed insurance agent in California and yes, I have heard of campanies dropping the customer for modifications to their cars
I wasn't offended, I just disnt realize you were being serious. Just thought you were trying to poke fun at me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i think they mean your aftermarket parts are not covered under insurance. i had a blown mustang with all the bolt ons, it was totaled and i only got 8k for it, with all the parts it would've been at least 12k.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts