BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like helping when I can, but it's getting tougher and tougher on me.

You're getting younger and I'm (we) are all getting older.

So, if you write a thread because you have a car issue.

Be complete
Be honest
Detail model, year, mileage, maintenance done

And, this above all...

Write a thread after you've done some catching up. Meaning, read a lot first. Don't ask what TB or ICV means. Use advanced/title search for your symptoms.

Usually, the answer to your first thread or two will be "no." 98% that is the answer, if you frame your question as a yes/no one!

"OEM" is the answer to your third thread and all those following up to about your 50th thread.

Please do the work if you want to fix your own car or pretend to be a mechanic when you take your car into a shop. If you only know a little, it would be very easy for you to be taken advantage of, and some, sadly, will do that.

Have a nice Sunday! I feel better now!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please do the work if you want to fix your own car or pretend to be a mechanic when you take your car into a shop. If you only know a little, it would be very easy for you to be taken advantage of, and MOST, sadly, will do that.

Have a nice Sunday! I feel better now!
fixed :str8pimpi

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
+1

You failed to mention that after the 50th thread, the correct answer to most of the rest of them is: Don't do it. It will make your car ugly and no one will ever want to buy it.

·
Registered
26,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Captain,

You might be right...I don't know the odds.

But, the odds go down significantly when you know stuff. Also, if you're like me and can fake great knowledge in a limited area, then you might be able to con a shop owner into thinking that you either know or could find out stuff...so that will help make it easier on him to be honest with you! That might end up costing you more money, though, and perhaps rightfully so.

Why? Because lots of things are wrong with your car, but the shop owner doesn't want to tell you everything because he knows you don't have a lot of money, and will just go elsewhere where someone says, "nah, it's just the bushing, bro"!

Also, there are great mechanics out there...many here too. Mechanics get bashed here a lot, but don't forget, we also don't get a lot of threads about a guy that took the car in for new plugs and had it done successfully. We hear only of the shop failures. Since there are so many of us, it will seem like shops fail more than they succeed, but if that was true, I don't think there would be so many shops in business for so long.

F, another 'too long' post from me!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Lastly, please let us know the final outcome of the issue, meaning the what, why and how the problem was ultimately resolved; and the forum said AMEN!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts