BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
are xenons better in bad weather ?

How do xenons perform in bad weather conditions compared to halogen headlights?

....for example in "normal" and THICK fog or in heavy rain...

i tried searching, but it wasnt so effective...:sad:

i heard some say that in thick fog...halogens are actually better...

....any input appreciated!

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,115 Posts
they are better in all conditions. stock color 4100k-4300k puts out the best light for you to see, although some people like a less yellow color and go with 6000k or some go even higher.

but as i said, they are superior in all conditions, not only is the light output more effective, but they also have ballasts to keep the light on the road, and spread out to the right so you can see things on the side of the road better. terrible explanation but i dont feel like editing it, this is a no brainer.

edit: in thick fog halogens may be better, but only because they are more yellow in color. thats why fog lights should actually be yellow. hence, just get some yellow output foglights and have your xenons too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
xenons are better in all conditions and it was also stated that the color of the fogs doesnt matter so the fog lights would do the trick....xenons are better in ALL conditions

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
they say you can

see father than the other make headlights like the one you said.
but i say if you don't go into the woods or if you live in the city. and money is tight with you you can do with out them i would say.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
xenons/HID's are better in every way imagineable. i never wish to drive a car without them now that i am used to mine. they are better in all conditions, rain, fog, etc. i would guesstimate that xenons are about 10x brighter/better than standard halogen setups.

xenons don't bother other drivers, unless they are aimed improperly...which also means less usable light for you if your lights are pointing up at the sky .

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
yea ive upgraded to oem xenons. worth evry penny and hour put into it. they are lovely.

·
Registered
719 Posts
ragiriad said:
xenons are only bad when your driving in front of someone that has them.
not if they are properly aimed. those super bright xenons you see on the road are often aimed too high, and blind oncoming traffic. SUV HID's on the other hand...:banghead:

I've gone from halogen to xenons, and I'd never go back. It not only lets you see far, but the field of vision just seems better illuminated. Xenon light at 4300k temp just creates a better contrasting color for my eyes.

Have yet to experience heavy fog, but in torrential rain, xenons still rocked in comparison to halogens.

·
name's PHIL
6,061 Posts
6000 K's baby.........thats the way to go............i would suggest for better vision on your fogs to go with the yellow ones out there, Spp, philips all weather visions...........but keep your headlights at XENON level:thumbup:

·
The Whirlwind
472 Posts
One point to make, color of light does not affect visibility through fog.

Anyway, xenons are so badass. If I ever have to go back to halogens on another car, I'll be pretty pissed. If you have your xenons and your fogs on, you create a 180° beam of bright light in front of you. It's wonderful. :thumbup:

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
BTW this is a related topic, but I have put around 10k miles on my Phillips 6000k bulbs.....

They are definately broken in. You guys would be surprised.....they are pure, snow white. I would say, in the beggining the light output is slightly less than 4300k(they had a bluish hue), but definately not after they are "broken in".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts