E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am a 13 year old german aspiring car enthusiast.

I have saved up 1000€ and my parents allowed me to buy a car.
I am looking for a car to wrench on, that has a lot of parts out on the market.
Car will not be driven a lot given i don't have a license yet.

Requires:
German market value >1000€.
BMW.
4 Door Sedan.
Manual, Gasoline.
No VANOS.
Models without rust for the price (reason against E46 & E36).
Sporty.
140HP-UP.

Thanks, for your help and recommmendations.

·
Registered
227 Posts
no e46s without vanos, Dont think you can get car with that criteria for that money, maybe a 316i or 318i e36.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
754 Posts
I'm reading that VANOS came in around 1992, so you'd be looking at an early E36 or E30. The E30 is valued as a collector's car now, so I doubt you'll find one anywhere close to €1000. Even the e36 will be difficult. Maybe an E36 316i compact? 140PS would require a 318ti though. But then again you said no E36, because rust, so guess not?

Your problem will be that older cars are rarer and more expensive. You might actually find early E90s or E87 1-series to be the cheapest used BMWs now. How about a lightly accident damaged (body panels only) high mileage younger car to repair? Just stay away from anything requiring frame work!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm reading that VANOS came in around 1992, so you'd be looking at an early E36 or E30. The E30 is valued as a collector's car now, so I doubt you'll find one anywhere close to €1000. Even the e36 will be difficult. Maybe an E36 316i compact? 140PS would require a 318ti though. But then again you said no E36, because rust, so guess not?

Your problem will be that older cars are rarer and more expensive. You might actually find early E90s or E87 1-series to be the cheapest used BMWs now. How about a lightly accident damaged (body panels only) high mileage younger car to repair? Just stay away from anything requiring frame work!
Actually asking bout' the e46.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
754 Posts
What are the common problems with Vanos?
I've not had any problems with VANOS on any of mine. ('93 E36 325i M50 single vanos, '99 E46 328i M52TU double vanos, '04 E46 M54 double vanos). Oil seals can go bad and it stops being as effective but the car still goes and there are no nasty noises. There may have been issues with the early vanos cars but I think on the e46 it's considered fairly reliable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not had any problems with VANOS on any of mine. ('93 E36 325i M50 single vanos, '99 E46 328i M52TU double vanos, '04 E46 M54 double vanos). Oil seals can go bad and it stops being as effective but the car still goes and there are no nasty noises. There may have been issues with the early vanos cars but I think on the e46 it's considered fairly reliable.
Whats the milage of the cars? I heard vanos goes bad after high miles. Looking into high milage cars because of the budget.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fair question. Not too many miles on mine. 200,000km was the highest.
The cars I can afford have ~350.000KM. So lets just assume the VANOS will fail or something in that maner. How much will the repair cost?

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
754 Posts
Well, considering it would be a project car that you had 5 years to fix before you could legally drive it, you shouldn't pay to have it repaired. You should rebuild it :) It'd be a great learning exercise!

(And if you start a youtube channel when you first get the car you might even make money doing it. You could end up with a lot of 13 year-old followers!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, considering it would be a project car that you had 5 years to fix before you could legally drive it, you shouldn't pay to have it repaired. You should rebuild it :) It'd be a great learning exercise!

(And if you start a youtube channel when you first get the car you might even make money doing it. You could end up with a lot of 13 year-old followers!)
I actually want to start a youtube channel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

The only Problem is I dont have a garage or engine tools.
Only have a carport.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You don't need a garage. I replaced my VANOS seals on my 330i for $60 in my university parking lot. It's an easy job with all the videos that are out there. Look for 50sKid on YouTube.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was looking into the first on you sent before and its my faborite pick.
Looks like it needs a deep clean for the interior but the exterior is in remarkably good shape. Be careful with the engine, the 2.2L came with a short 3.38 diff and 5 speed and this is a German car that probably saw a lot of Autobahn. 350k Km is nothing for a 330i in the US but that 320i engine might not be in the best shape anymore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like it needs a deep clean for the interior but the exterior is in remarkably good shape. Be careful with the engine, the 2.2L came with a short 3.38 diff and 5 speed and this is a German car that probably saw a lot of Autobahn. 350k Km is nothing for a 330i in the US but that 320i engine might not be in the best shape anymore.
I thought Autobahn-Miles where good because its not just short distance drives (engine on and directly off without proper warming up).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts