BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on my new set of Dunlop winter sports M3s. Mounted and balanced on new alloys from Tire Rack.

I'm getting a slight vibration at highway speed. Can't feel it in the steering wheel. Just the whole car seems to be rumbling a bit versus the summer Michelin Pilot Sports. I'm kinda missing my super smooth ride from the Michelins.

My guess it that this is normal given the knobby treads on snow tires but wanted to make sure.

Do you get the same thing with your snow tires? Will it get better once the tires wear a bit?:dunno::sad:

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
I have Dunlop winter sport M3's on my 528i also on new alloys from Tire Rack and I also get a slight vibration at speeds between 60-70 mph. The summer tires on that car are Continental ContiSport Contact's and they are much smoother. I was thinking about calling Tire Rack to see if that is normal or if the M3's need to be rebalanced or something.

My 323Ci has Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's for winter and those ride about the same as the summer Bridgestone Turanza's.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I have M2s - no vibration.
Did you install them on the right side.
That is are they turning in the right direction?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have the tires checked out to make sure they are balanced and have the wheels checked to make sure they are straight.

I have gotten tires and wheels from tirerack that have come misbalanced & once a wheel was bent as well, there customer service dept is pretty good about correcting the situation.

Check out the link below and have your wheels checked out by a place that has the Hunter 9700, it can not only check the balancing but also check to se if the wheel is straight and can check road force as well.

This link gives you a Hunter balancer locator . . .

http://209.176.154.132/pub/search/Findgsp9700.cfm

Good luck !!

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,353 Posts
I did a little experiment - I went out to the garage, slightly loosened all my lug bolts, and then re-torqued them to 87 ft-lbs. Went out for a drive, and the vibration is now all but gone!

You may want to try that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts