BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are M3 manual conversions reliable long term, and how much do they cost to do approximately?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are two ways to do the conversion:

1) Full OEM - so you basically modify and swap in all the parts from the manual car and delete the SMG gear

2) Self Centering Shifter - Similar to above but you use a self-centering shifter which normally requires interior modifications but doesn't require a modification to the bell housing for the centering detent springs

both are as reliable as each other its just taste and budget but definitely for Option 1 there is virtually no change vs just buying a stock manual if done correctly and ECU recoded correctly... other than the VIN Decode showing its an SMG still it would be exactly as if you had bought it manual from stock

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guys in Sydney tend to rave about a guy called Stace Zossimas... you can find him on Facebook and he is in all the major E46 M3 Facebook groups. I am in WA so have no direct review but he has been helpful to refer to for advice over Messenger... I also believe Brintech Customs will do the job. it's probably best to try join "Australian E46 M3 Owner Group" on Facebook as there is heaps of guys giving reviews and recommendations on there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How did you get on OP? When I looked into this years ago when I still had my E46, i hear about Brintech and when I spoke to Stace about it he said they have a done a few conversion from manual back to SMG as they never quite feel right or as OEM. Maybe thats due to Options 2 above instead of the full swap out.

Ive been thinking of getting back into E46 and if i cannot get a manual was re exploring the conversion option again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was recently talking to the guys at Brintech customs about a manual conversion.

They do 2 kits for the E46 m3, one with the bell-housing and one with the associated clutch, pedal, bushes etc.

Seems like a very knowledgeable guy.

Kit was about 3100 AUD from memory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts