BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for some 18" wheels and was wondering what's everyone's experience with aftermarket wheels vs OEM ones. I heard that aftermarket alloy wheels are pretty soft and can be bent or warped easily. Are OEM wheels that much better than aftermarket ones? I live in Houston, so we have a lot of construction, bumpy roads, and potholes everywhere so I just want to be sure I don't ruin the wheels that easily driving around town. My budget is 300-400 for each wheel and I prefer to get the wheels new. Oh I already have the tires. I'm considering the new OEM ZHP Type 135 wheels which I can get at Pacific BMw for 400 shipped, but I'm not for certain. They look hard to keep clean. There are some other aftermarkets ones I like too. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Typically aftermarket wheels, depending on the brand, are overbuilt so that they can be used on a larger variety of applications, so they are usually stronger than OE wheels which were designed to be used on only one model of car.

The main reason I can guess that you've hard aftermarket wheels are 'softer' is because often guys go to much larger diameter wheels with lower profile tires.

Significantly lower profile tires offer less wheel protection from potholes, so thus more bent wheels.

·
Read Only
1,855 Posts
It also depends upon what kind of aftermarket rim you're buying...
Forged rims are significantly stronger than cast ones, but are usually much more expensive... Companies like bbs and oz make some of the strongest wheels on the market, even their cast ones...

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
if you go with after market wheels

that are larger than stock with lower profile tires you run the risk because of the low profile tires to bend the wheels (rims) you
just have to drive slower and scan the floor of the road for holes and bumbs. or just drive more carefully and you will be ok with your wheels.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts