BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my '04 325i with 102k miles for about one month. Took it into dealership for oil change, tail light recall, and to have them check it out, specifically asking if they could lube the squeaky clutch pedal. Per the techs, I need a clutch kit for about $1150.

Maintenance suggestions were spark plugs and fuel filter. And it also feels like new shocks/struts would be helpful.

Ah, expenses! I'm going to have a few indy shops locally check it out too. It's a sweet ride and I knew there would be maintenance, just sucks getting nailed with so much so soon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bro that's nothing I got my car they gave me estimate of 5k in repairs. I did it all for about 1,500. Look around pelican parts.com you will find great prices there (clutch too)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
squeeky clutch pedal can be fixed by taking the slave cylinder out and spraying lubricant inside to lubricate the shaft it slides on... did it on mine and still silent, even made the pedal easier to push.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Take the dealers "recommendations" as just that. I would never have bought my car should I need dealer to tell me what I should do. Best advice if you are not comfortable doing your own work. Find a great shop because dealer trips get expensive really quick haha

Learned that when I had my first e46....

Regional Forums are a great place to find a good indy shop.

That is how I found out about Maximum PSI in NJ. Have not needed a trip to them yet thankfully but always good to know of a great shop should a DIY project be to involved to do in the driveway.

·
Registered
14,248 Posts
They're bullshitting you. If it drives fine, then you don't need a new clutch. Good luck finding an honest AND good mechanic. They are pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
When it comes time for a clutch kit, you can get OEM stuff for ~$600 (clutch and flywheel). Stage 1 clutch and 16 lb. flywheel from Gripforce runs $412 (not sure about shipping charges).

The parts aren't the expensive thing; it's the labor costs that will kill you.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
they are mostly likely fuking with you. Our clutches normally last at least 150k or even 200k
I agree.

The driveability will tell you if you need a new clutch.

OP, Do you feel the car shake, and chatter when you try to gently drive away from a stop?

Do you feel a sudden lack of power under immediate heavy acceleration, followed by a delayed surge of power?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts