E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Anything thinner than 3M double sided heavy duty tape?

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  nughaud 
#1 ·
I have new brake ducts to install and I had my old ones taken out. My old ones were attached/installed w/the 3M double sided tape but it was too thick so my old ducts protruded out a lil.

Is there any other double sided heavy duty tape that is thinner or better yet has anyone used those adhesive can sprays? If so, how would you get that stuff off? TIA

#5 ·
Home Depot do sell double side tape that I have been using for diff. proj., anyway it's proly 1/2 mm thick (very thin) , you can "dig it up" at the carpet dep. for 'round $5 a roll !;)

#6 ·
3c said:
Home Depot do sell double side tape that I have been using for diff. proj., anyway it's proly 1/2 mm thick (very thin) , you can "dig it up" at the carpet dep. for 'round $5 a roll !;)

But how strong is it? I need tape that can withstand the elements as well as hold onto my ducts w/o it flying off at high speeds.

#8 ·
Well it is strong enough to be used to hold the carpet to the floor ........., ( but the carped does not move with high speed ) .........:D

#9 ·
TZ Blue D3 said:
3M Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive... Holds the same as the good tape, spread as thin as you want:thumbup:

I've never heard about this tape. When you say thin as you want...do mean width wise thin? I'm more referring to the thinness in depth.

#11 ·
TZ Blue D3 said:
It is not tape, but the actual adhesive used on the tapes, it comes in a tube... Works like a charm

Oh nice! I just did some research on it. There's also an ULTRA PRO Plastic and Trim adhesive. Which one is stronger and just as easy to take off?

How would I take off the piece when I need to?

#13 ·
looks like I'm gonna go w/what u said...ultra pro may be too strong...but it says its safe for cure paint whereas the other one doesn't mention it.

#14 ·
advan24r said:

I've never heard about this tape. When you say thin as you want...do mean width wise thin? I'm more referring to the thinness in depth.
it is paper thin and it is 'round 4" wide (similar to duct tape on sizes) and it is covered with white glosy paper for removing when applyed .......:confused:

#17 ·
For me, I used the glue the is left over from my ACS roof spoiler and this work great. I think any strong 3M adhesive spray will work just fine. Don't use tape because it is very hard to adjust and the fitment won't look good. Also, after you installed the air duct, used masking tape to tape down the air duct so it wouldn't move or change the position. Remove the tape after couple hours and you got a perfect installation.

#19 ·
I ended up using 3M UltraPro Plastic and Trim Adhesive. It actually looks and smell like rubber cement but stronger. Works well! Highly recommend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.