BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read every single TSE2 post from start to finish. After conferring with cls1000, it seems that the majority of people that complain about droning are steptronic owners, due to different gearing between Step and manual. I have a '02 325i Step and have this droning sound from 2000-3000 rpm. I've tried all the fixes and the two mechanics installed it perfectly with no rattling or any other issues. I have no doubt there are people with stick and TSE2 and don't have droning, but I don't recall reading any completely satisfied Step owners. Thus, I am looking for any. :)

In any gear I'm in however, there is a loud droning sound from 2000-3000rpm. I can't really avoid this rpm range. I REALLY would like to keep this exhaust, but only if I can fix this problem. The exhaust sounds GREAT at any other rpm and at WOT as well. I also went to a muffler shop and they said that the Car Chemistry inserts really wouldn't do me any good at all for my situation. Perhaps this droning can be fixed with a redesigned resonator section? I do recall another member saying that it's because of the natural frequency of the car coinciding with the exhaust causing the sound.

·
Registered
878 Posts
yeah... i got the same... although i'm running teh straight pipes. THe exhaust is freakin awesome sounding tho at any other rpm. its bad for me just at 2k exactly. prob is this is where the step likes to be. I'm thinking about a diff swap anyway which should raise my revs a bit.

-burrito

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, just be nice if there was a known light at the end of the tunnel. I know JetBlack330 has been playing with his TSE2 for months now without the drone going away... :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Still no luck with mine. Droning still occurs right in the same range as everyone else is. I'm planning on taking it to a shop to see if they can do anything. Obviously, it is NOT the exhaust. It is OUR FAULT for not installing it properly. :tsk:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm going to have a car audio shop install Dynamat between it and the car.. it will deaden it and keep the noise out of the car..

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you talking about installing Dynamat underneath the seats and in trunk? Or directly in between the exhaust and the frame of the car? Cuz I'm not sure if Dynamat is made to resist such high temperatures... I'm gonna ask some mechanics tonight as to any possible things I can do about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts