E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I should be getting my car back on Wed of next week and I wanted to go ahead and change the oil. I figured since the car is still in repairs on the service floor, I could get them to change the oil. Well, I talked to the dealership and they want 200$ just to change the oil! Thats highway robbery. Is there anyone around this area that has an oil extractor? I have no problem meeting you somewhere!!!

Thanks ahead of time guys!

AdamR

·
Registered
449 Posts
The $200 isn't "just" for an oil change. If you check their description, most dealers call it an "oil service", which also means some lame inspection and stuff on top of the oil change.

I'd just find an independent to go do JUST an oil change for you. I'm not suggesting jiffy lube, but someone reliable.

digitalgm said:
Hey all! I should be getting my car back on Wed of next week and I wanted to go ahead and change the oil. I figured since the car is still in repairs on the service floor, I could get them to change the oil. Well, I talked to the dealership and they want 200$ just to change the oil! Thats highway robbery. Is there anyone around this area that has an oil extractor? I have no problem meeting you somewhere!!!

AdamR

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I agree, $200 is steep for an oil change/service. Take it to valvolien or something, just watch them like a hawk while they move around your car.....it'll run you like $50-60 for syth oil and new filter. I think JJK-E46 = James has an extractor, you could ask him :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Adam, if you think you'll be doing more oil changes in the future, maybe investing in an extractor will be worthwhile? I plan to but I have another 4500 miles to the next change so I won't be going to buy one until summer probably. The $65 for the extractor will be more than paid for compared to a dealer charging you the $200.

·
Registered
459 Posts
digitalgm said:

AdamR
umm which dealer is this????

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Anyone want to help out a fellow Northern Virginia Fanatic?

Sterling BMW amazingly enough ... these guys ARE AMAZING though but that is a little overpriced.

leng said:

umm which dealer is this????
AdamR

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, Cabby (Jason) is allowing me to use his extractor and Ill take care of the oil change myself. I figure Ill probably buy one of these things pretty soon but for now Jasons the man!

AdamR

·
Registered
443 Posts
why don't you just buy the filter at the dealer. Buy the oil where ever you like jack up the car and use the damn drain plug??? Oil extractors are nice but not needed. and I would never trust a jiffy lube or a valvolien have they even heard of a cartridge filter?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take it to Curry's Auto. They do BMW oil changes for $60.
I get my oil changes there every 5000 miles, and I take it to the dealer for a freebee every 15,000.

You can trust Curry's with your bimmer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Passport BMW has in between service oil change program for $49.99. However, I don't know what it is for M3s because they use a special oil that cost 10 bucks a quart.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I am going to get the filter & oil from the dealer and do the extractor method although I do have access to a lift if I want it....

AdamR

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, the extractor method's sooo easy, especially if the car's been just driven. You just sit and watch it all drain out, haha. Looking forward to seein ya at the next meet!

·
Registered
72 Posts
What the hell is an oil extractor??? Is there any difference changing oil on an M3 compared to the 330i (which I'll eventually be getting - either from Sterling or Passport i think). How difficult is it to change oil in a BMW... I've been doing my own in my GTI. Also, what oil are you all putting in there (and I'm guessing that would be different for the 330i and M3)? Any recommendations? I was thinking of sticking with AMSOil but don't know which weight I'll be using. Thanks all and sorry for bein such a newbie :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts