E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am M3 newbie who wants to make wise choices the 1st time whenever possible so I find Forums to be goldmine of experience!

Mine is an '02 SMGd M3 with just over 80k miles. Not sure what others are getting in MPG etc but with this amount of miles on the car and not knowing when the plugs were changed if at all, I just want to have replacements near by when I pull what's in there in case they're shot.

In other marques I've owned & after first doing much research, I have used NGK Iridiums with great pleasure. They don't offer 100kmi but more like 50-60Kmi which is fine with me!

Once upon a time long ago, Bosch coppers had the BMW market covered...is this still the case or WHAT OTHER SPARK PLUGS ARE BEING USED IN FORUM MEMBERS' M3s.

Any & all solid experience & suggestions about what is the preferred plug are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
NGK Iridiums are fine. If anything, they should last longer than platinum plugs (which is what the M3 comes with). I'm personally running Denso Iridiums with no issues to report

·
Banned
7 Posts
I haven't had a single problem with an NGK plug in my BMWs, Mercedes-Benz, or Chevrolet. I think they are a great company with great products, so much so that I'm hesitant to try anything else at this point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually like to do one thing at a time to be better able to sense what the improvement results from but because of a great opportunity to get my car up in the air at my buddy's shop, have access to all of his trick tools and just hang out with several guys of like mind, I did my plugs and my 1st oil change at once. My car has been running SOOOOO smoothly and quietly that it is amazing! I'd attribute the quietness to the oil and the smoothness probably to the plugs but in any case, it's a beautiful thing! Taking a rough measurement of the gap on the plugs that came out (double side electrode NGKs), I read a gap of .038 - .040 so with that gap being closed down to spec., I think that's the source of the smoothness. An added beni. is increased MPG! It's actually so much quieter that I think I'm hearing a high pitched tranny whine. Maybe some fresh Redline in that is in order! Anyone have recommendations on a preferred brand? I lead towards Redline products due mostly because of use of it over many years by myself and friends for race and trackday cars with great results (especially in the race cars - trannys, rear ends, and engines). As a newbie to this Forum and to the E46 M3, I appreciate the feedback and sharing of other members' experiences with these machines. Did I ever mention that I LOVE my M3???

·
Registered
171 Posts
To the OP: NGK's a great for replacements. I bought mine from ECS Tuning in Feb for around 70 bucks.

The new plugs and fresh oil change will benefit the behavior of the car. I did those two along with my valve adj. and vanos filter at the 62k mark.

@tramRam- I would stick with OEM fluids. The Pentosin CHF-11 SMG Fluid is the only way to go. No personal experience with redline ATF.
For the Diff....use the OEM gear oil for the ///M diff with the FM booster. I forget the exact weight 75W-140 ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll assume that OP means orig. plug. I'd certainly do the Pentosin for the SMG pump. I'd heard to leave the valves alone unless they're noisy...I think mine are but I don't know what the engine is SUPPOSED to sound like but no one has commented negatively. I'm at 83kmi. My master tech BMW pro is who said leave the valves but I want to do them anyway...not sure what will improve there...probably performance. Too bad there's no test to show that they need adjustment besides being there & checking the clearances. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts