BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone buy and install the Homelink transmitter? Thoughts? Is it worth the 180 dollars?
Thanks much!

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
nah dont pay 180 bucks for that. i know cuttermotors sells it for like 135 or something. i think its worth that much.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
It's worth the $135 that Pacific BMS, Circle BMW, Cutter Motors, or many other places charge for it. It's a really easy DIY installation.

·
call me kev :D
6,308 Posts
of course it's worth it, unless you like remotes hanging on your visiors

but be prepared.. the range on the bmw unit isn't that good

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try a homemade homelink

There's always the option of making your own homelink. If you can solder, try one of these easy methods. Having a Genie makes it alot easier since they are already 12 volts but it will work with other openers by using a resister.

Ashtray button and also mentioned a high beam diy:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114466

Additional info about high beam diy if you don't know about relays like me and what I ended up doing which was to mount the switches in the microphone cover.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125142

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Call Johnson Controls before you install it. Tell themn your range is not good and they will confirm if your unit is an older model or the new.

The correction used to be they sent you a free antena (looked like a copper strip) to attach. They discontinued that and will now send you a new brain (detaches from the buttons part) with a return box for the old brain. I can open my garage from about 3 houses down the road and I am in an older neighborhood with big lots not the new zero lot lines. I used to barely be able to get it at the end of my driveway which can hold about 2-3 cars front to back.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have two remotes that are now linked to the HL and it definitely is worth getting it... I was a little hassled by the HL disabling when car not running but I also thought it was a nice security feature.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
i like that trick of putting it in the ashtray..looks like i got something to do this weekend

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hmm. I just got a homelink system.

I followed the programming instructions. Why is it not working for me?

I live in an apartment complex with a garage by the way. Does this have anything to do with it?

????

·
Registered
482 Posts
lulubboy said:
Hmm. I just got a homelink system.

I followed the programming instructions. Why is it not working for me?

I live in an apartment complex with a garage by the way. Does this have anything to do with it?

????
Might want to check if your system is a rolling code system.

If so, refer to this:

http://www.homelink.com/program/rolling.html

I am having a wierd problem as well. I got my garage door to work, but the gate to my complex wont. BUT with the homelink in my old lexus and my GF's Lexus I can get both to work!?!?! :banghead:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm having extly same problem as Jza8Shwoff does...

My garage door works, but the gate to my complex wont.
seems like the range of this bmw HLS is shorter than some other HLS'

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I got the homelink system to work now. It was the rolling code issue. Feel a lot better bout my purchase.

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
47,771 Posts
Just received mine yesterday cant wait until I get it installed :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts