E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI just wondering if anyone is currently running schirck cams. I have a 328ci, and I want the cams to be my next mod. Don't think I'm going to go FI with this car anytime in the near future.... Simply beacuse around me there are no reliable shops I could go to for service or tuning. There are a few good porsche / BMW shops... but none are really experience in FI.

They have told me that they can install VANOS camas and tune them correctly. Apparently they have all the correct cam installation tools.

I've read a number of posts here, just by using the :search: function, but they are kind of old. Does anyone here have any opinions on the cams? Good experiences, bad experiences? Was the purchase / install worth the money and the trouble? Did you notice a difference in the feel of your car? Have you tracked your car with the cams? Any horror stories of installs gone wrong? How difficult was it to tune the car? This is the part that scares me the most. I would even consider getting the install done at the stealership... becasue at least they have the right tuning tools. Really any information you can give is helpful... just looking for a few personal experience stories.

Also, right now I am running Conforti's software. Turner seems to think that I can continue to run this software? Is that ture? I've tried to mail Jim Conforti about this. He's not answering so I guess he's pretty busy at the moment, because he's usually really good about answering e-mail.

I figure that I will have to upgrade the valve springs. Anyone do this too?

Thanks... I'm still pretty new here so forgive me if this is all old hat.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump: Hoping someone sees this.

NeoGeo said:
HI just wondering if anyone is currently running schirck cams. I have a 328ci, and I want the cams to be my next mod. Don't think I'm going to go FI with this car anytime in the near future.... Simply beacuse around me there are no reliable shops I could go to for service or tuning. There are a few good porsche / BMW shops... but none are really experience in FI.

They have told me that they can install VANOS camas and tune them correctly. Apparently they have all the correct cam installation tools.

I've read a number of posts here, just by using the :search: function, but they are kind of old. Does anyone here have any opinions on the cams? Good experiences, bad experiences? Was the purchase / install worth the money and the trouble? Did you notice a difference in the feel of your car? Have you tracked your car with the cams? Any horror stories of installs gone wrong? How difficult was it to tune the car? This is the part that scares me the most. I would even consider getting the install done at the stealership... becasue at least they have the right tuning tools. Really any information you can give is helpful... just looking for a few personal experience stories.

Also, right now I am running Conforti's software. Turner seems to think that I can continue to run this software? Is that ture? I've tried to mail Jim Conforti about this. He's not answering so I guess he's pretty busy at the moment, because he's usually really good about answering e-mail.

I figure that I will have to upgrade the valve springs. Anyone do this too?

Thanks... I'm still pretty new here so forgive me if this is all old hat.

·
TiAg 330i
564 Posts
well, you may be surprised that stealership can't actually install aftermarket cams for you. all stock OEM cams are pre-indexed and stealerships don't have the tools needed for non-indexed cams. plus most stealerships wouldn't do tuning inside engine. your best bet is a reputable and experienced tuning shop.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the post... any information helps me out. Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm pretty new to the internals of cars, and I'm still learning. What do you mean by indexed? I know that some of the shops I called, said they have the proper cam transfer tools... I suppose these tools are the ones you are talking about. Do you know any good sites that I could read up on to learn about this stuff. Keep in mind that I'm just starting to get more technical in this area....

Thanks again....

ak330i said:
well, you may be surprised that stealership can't actually install aftermarket cams for you. all stock OEM cams are pre-indexed and stealerships don't have the tools needed for non-indexed cams. plus most stealerships wouldn't do tuning inside engine. your best bet is a reputable and experienced tuning shop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had them on last year, and while the rev power was incredible, I had a problems with starting up in the morning when the engine is still cold and my engine stalls often. I have a step and I used cams that were less than 272 degrees, but even that didn't help the engine stalls. You might want to get your ECU tuned really well to avoid this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I will keep all this in mind. The stalling part scares me a little. No one else has mentioned that to me, but everyone else I have contacted has had a 5 speed. Don't understand how that could affect things, but I'm learning and I will find out.

Thanks again.

·
Mod Squad
10,012 Posts
You might wanna look up malakia12 as well. I'm pretty sure he has/had Schrick cams as well.

If you have FI aspriations at any point in the future, a lot of people say that the Schick cams are too aggressive for an FI application, and that the ZHP cams are best.

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
I have the Schrick 248/248 cams on my car for the past 2 years with zero problems. I believe the 248/248 is whats recommended by Schrick for the 323/328's. I had it installed by a Bmw master tech (on the side :) ) and the car runs great. Is it worth the money? I would say no. Theres def. more mid range torque and high end horsepower but for around 2K and change for the cams and labor, its not exactly the most bang for the buck. I think Schrick claims about 15-20hp for the cams alone. The key when installing the cams is to have access to bmw tools to get the vanos timing PERFECT or you will run into problems. I've never had any cold weather stalling or CEL's due to my cams. It idles like stock and the engine is louder. Sounds like a 330 with more grunt. Hard to explain but if you have a stock engine next to mine, you could tell.

Now with the ASA Supercharger in, the car feels amazing with the cam setup. I'm going to try to get it dynoed before it gets too cold out.

Alan

·
Mod Squad
10,012 Posts
^ :hmm: I coulda swore that I read a post where Samir said that Schrick cams were too aggressive for FI. :dunno: Obviously I was mistaken. Maybe it was in reference to 330's? :dunno:

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
It depends on the lift/duration of the cams. I believe schrick cams for the 330 were 248/264 which isn't the best for FI. Based on my understanding is that you want the two numbers as close as possible with FI so my 248/248 is perfect. I'm not sure what the stock cam profile is for the 330 but you might not be able to run the 248/248 setup in 330's. Not sure

Alan

·
Ultimate Wagon
1,547 Posts
russ330 said:
^Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
I saw from RDSport that they have cam & software avilable to offer, wonder if we have any Fanatics have experience with them? This may answer the question if s/w adjustment is needed.

I suspect having a "RD install base" will be a long shot .. given that you can't even get a hold of anyone over there in RDSport ... who would even buy from them ??? :dunno:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for the information. BTW I love your car... the look really works too.

I really wanted to experiment with the cams, but they are expensive. And I don't know where I could get them installed. I agree with you on the fact that the timing has to be perfect. I don't need any problems. You are probably right on the fact, that it may not be worth the money.

Maybe I should jsut save up and do headers next year, and forget the cams all together. I would love to do them, but the installation part scares the hell out of me. Maybe I should contact the local BMW car club and see if they know of master tech that could do the install for me. That would make me feel a little better. Don't want to go to just any shop that says "oh yes we can do that..." .

So you didn't feel much of a difference? And I think you are right, the 248 / 248 is what people seem to reccomend for the 328. It's funny though, but just a few months ago in the summer both Turner and Rennsport seemed to have the 248 / 246 cams listed on their site as the suggested profile for the 328. I wonder why the changed it?

I just started upgrading the performance of my car, and even with the few mods that I have, I can notice a big difference. I was contemplating on either going with the cams or headers, but I heard that headers really won't make much of a difference, so I decided on the cams.

I'm going to do a little more reading on the science my self, I love mechanical engineering, and that might help me make a solid decision on what I wan't to do with my small budget next year. Off the shelf, the cams are pretty expensive, so I don't want to waste the money. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Hey, maybe you know people in Toronto (just a wild guess) off this site, that could reccomend a good shop to go to. So far I have one reccomendation, but I haven't been down to their place to check it out.

Thanks again

nG

Alan L. said:
It depends on the lift/duration of the cams. I believe schrick cams for the 330 were 248/264 which isn't the best for FI. Based on my understanding is that you want the two numbers as close as possible with FI so my 248/248 is perfect. I'm not sure what the stock cam profile is for the 330 but you might not be able to run the 248/248 setup in 330's. Not sure

Alan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ok guys, let me put in my input on what I have been told. I currently have schrick 264 intake/ 248 exhaust. While it is true that these two numbers should be close when going FI, that really only applies to Turbo cars. In a supercharged car, you should not have problems with a little overlap. That is what I have been told at least. Schrick only makes 248/248 or 264/248 for our cars :thumbup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder why people don't show the 264/248 option for the 328ci on their websites any more.

malakia12 said:
Ok guys, let me put in my input on what I have been told. I currently have schrick 264 intake/ 248 exhaust. While it is true that these two numbers should be close when going FI, that really only applies to Turbo cars. In a supercharged car, you should not have problems with a little overlap. That is what I have been told at least. Schrick only makes 248/248 or 264/248 for our cars :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts