E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I went from 16" to 17" then to 18". PSS9 installed. I've had different tires each time and I can tell you rubber is what definitely plays bigger role in ride quality than size of wheels.
16" - dunlop sp2000
17" - bridgestone potenza s03 pp
18" - goodyear eagle f1 gsd3
So 17" were the harshest as for the ride quality, 16" almost the same as 18" now.
Potenza also tramlined like hell through some of the roads.
 

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
Joined
·
41,517 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:
Aside from ride quality, the only regret you will have in going from 17' to 18's is that you will want 19's. :D
:werd:

I went from 17s to 18s to 19s, just settle for 19s. I have PSS coils and the ride is comfortable :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
so what's the cheapest, best bang for the buck wheel you can buy out there that also has nice ride quality, no road noise, and decent performance?

I'm thinking Nitto's what do you guys think? btw, I have 18's, currently on Pirelli's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I have been gone so long...

Thanks for all the reponses. I can't imagine I'd be able to stand 19s.

And I'll keep the tire brand in mind though -- I hadn't considered that.

Any other experiences are appreciated.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:
Aside from ride quality, the only regret you will have in going from 17' to 18's is that you will want 19's. :D
I have to agree with the above statement. That is the main reason I went straight to 19s and have not a single regret. The ride is suprisingly satisfactory unlike what we hear from the forum.

As seen in the picture in my sig, I opted for budget wheels since I do not want to have the feeling of $600 - 900 lost, per pothole or curb hit. Heck, why invest on something that depreciates a great deal?

Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
mackypatron said:
I have to agree with the above statement. That is the main reason I went straight to 19s and have not a single regret. The ride is suprisingly satisfactory unlike what we hear from the forum.

As seen in the picture in my sig, I opted for budget wheels since I do not want to have the feeling of $600 - 900 lost, per pothole or curb hit. Heck, why invest on something that depreciates a great deal?

Just my .02
That's true..went straight to 19's coz the regret of having 17's or 18's is that you can figure that you want more...bigger actually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
jk330i said:
so what's the cheapest, best bang for the buck wheel you can buy out there that also has nice ride quality, no road noise, and decent performance?

I'm thinking Nitto's what do you guys think? btw, I have 18's, currently on Pirelli's.

im runnin 18's on sumitumo's smooth and quiet...price is cheaper than nitto's
 

·
Imported *******
Joined
·
828 Posts
loving every minute of my 19s GT3s with the new Bridgestone Fuzion tires. The Ride is perfect!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Regrets

noflash said:
I guess I am mostly talkin' about ride quality here.

TIA
I went from 16 to 18's and the only regret I have is when I hit a small pot hole it feels like I fell into a sink hole. Also when I have 4 people in the car and I'm on the highway it rubs when I go over humps or into dips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WillyBimmin said:
I went from 16 to 18's and the only regret I have is when I hit a small pot hole it feels like I fell into a sink hole. Also when I have 4 people in the car and I'm on the highway it rubs when I go over humps or into dips.
Really! What size are your rims/tires and what suspension are you running?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
I'm running OEM M3 rims with 225 40 18's on the front and I think 235 45 18's in the rear. I know they weren't meant to go on my car but I did it anyway, just to get rid of those ugly ass oem rims my car came with. So I expected the rubbing, but the small bumps in the road that feel like your teeth are going to fall out I didn't expect.
I also have H&R Sport springs on the front, because of the way that sedans sit so high in the front. It made it look like the front was higher than the back. Now it has an aggressive stance. It 's basically a trade off, looks or comfort.

One day when I become a big baller like some of the other guys on this site I'll get the money to do it the right way, and not have to sacrifice anything.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top