E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, wondering how it would turn out (Matte Black) - especially because of the tiny crevices in the split spokes. Pics appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I did it on my Miro Wheels. I actually used white Plasti Dip. It takes a few hours but just do it. It's the best way too see if you like it enough to get your wheels powder coated. If you don't like it then just peep it off. I used 4 cans for a whole car. 4 coats. It held up for a few months. Then I took it off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks damn good, I was thinking about going with a matte type finish because my oem 18's could use being redone, but wasn't sure. This will definitely help me decide, would you say two cans should be enough for 4 wheels? Going with the Imola on matte with my car. I know it's been done a few times lol, but what can you say, it looks good. Only things I have left to finish the look and maybe some tint because it can be a pain at times here in Florida.

·
Registered
398 Posts
for those who have a hard time removing plasti dip from hard to reach curves and stuff. I hear that spray WD40 on the wheel and plasti dip should prety much dissolve i would then just use a bottle brush or something to remove it..

For the other guy asking for product link,, just google " plasti Dip".You can find it at Lowes in the spray paint section

·
Registered
198 Posts
I plasti dipped my 18's and took it off a week later lol. I didn't like it on cbm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
plastidip if an amazing product, used it on several other cars and trucks ive owned and never had have a problem. like posted above it may be harder to remove with cuviture but it is still possible to remove without any damage so you have nothing to worry about...i say go for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
great respect for a girl who purchases a m3 as her car. where the heck were you when I was single couple of years ago
thanks. back then I was helping my (now ex)boyfriend rebuild the engine on his Audi S4 :D

got the bug and developed a strong appreciation for german engineering. trying to do all the work on my M myself. learning as I go. so glad there's E46fanatics! :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Happy with Plasti Dip!

Couldn't live with the stained/dirty wheels any longer, so I Plasti Dipped them. I am happy with the results - enough that I plan to keep them like this and touch-up when needed until I can afford to buy new wheels. Before and after pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Couldn't live with the stained/dirty wheels any longer, so I Plasti Dipped them. I am happy with the results - enough that I plan to keep them like this and touch-up when needed until I can afford to buy new wheels. Before and after pics attached.
mmm this just reaffirms my decision to do mine this weekend :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heres a pic of my 18's after a couple weeks of having them dipped.

I'm very surprised how well it's holding up, best $25 i've spent ina while. I went through 3 cans, but I did like 5 coats on each wheel. Trying to get the notecards to stay inbetween your rubbers and rims is a pain in the ass if there is any breeze whatsoever.

How are yall keeping them clean? The matte black doesn't show much dirt, but I am scared to try throwing any degreaser on them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heres a pic of my 18's after a couple weeks of having them dipped.

I'm very surprised how well it's holding up, best $25 i've spent ina while. I went through 3 cans, but I did like 5 coats on each wheel. Trying to get the notecards to stay inbetween your rubbers and rims is a pain in the ass if there is any breeze whatsoever.

How are yall keeping them clean? The matte black doesn't show much dirt, but I am scared to try throwing any degreaser on them.
They look great! Just did mine the other day, so haven't really cleaned them yet - I would like to know too on the best way to keep them clean. I have read just using water and soap with a chamois.

I didn't do the index card thing - just sprayed all the way up to the tires - the plasti dip just peels off the tires if you put on a thick enough coat onto the tires edge. I bought 5 cans and only used 2 (6 light/medium coats). I will keep the other 3 for touch-ups.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.