BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
don't do it, my brother got a ticket for it before, i had it on my car at the time as well, but if you really want it, you can get it at target or kragen, i guess not having a front plate is the same.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
u talking about the ones that turn yellow after a while???

·
OO[][]OO
526 Posts
I did made my custom, by my self proly 6 yrs ago on my MBC280 (the reason I made it is cuz I wanted to use my OEM chrome frame and the wallMart and so on stores did cary only clears plasic plate covers which did NOT fit in any frame ).
Anyway you can get clear plexiglass from HDepot and tint it with car window tint (by your choice of % tint) ...... it is great on dark (my is black pearl) car with chrome L. frame and tinted cover on the plate ....

PS: btw for all of that yrs it did NOT crack or yellowed or peel off, the only small down side is when washing I'm getting soap inside (so you have to hose it a bit longer) , but that is also fixable by instaling weather stripping around :)

hope that answered some of your Q.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The legality of it depends on the state where the cars registered. I used to have tinted ones of the plates on my 4runner which were twice the legal tint limit, plus the cover would not allow red light camera's to take get the whole numbers etc... you had to be abe 15 feet away from the car before you could make out the letters. I got pulled over a couple of times for it, but they couldn't say anything because my home state allows tinted plate covers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have had a smoke license plate cover on all my cars for the past 10 years or so with no problems at all! The one I currently have was purchased from Pep Boys

·
Got Mis-shift?
749 Posts
I took mine out 3 days ago since I always get pulled over. Even the school police pulled me over for that and caused me to be late for my quiz.

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
Thats the only thing i have been ever pulled over for!!! I got a $75 ticket.....not even a fix-it ticket! I still love the look, but definitely not worth it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts