BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it just started getting cold around here and i noticed that whenever i turn my angel eyes on, they won't all go bright right away. There's usually one that's much dimmer than the rest (not always the same one). Then it very slowly gets brighter as it warms up. i guess this is normal as Matt had warned when these came out. No biggie i guess. after a few seconds they look normal... not really complaining but just thought i'd start a thread about it since no one else has yet (or maybe i just havn't seen one).... share your experiences

·
like ma bell, i got the...
1,199 Posts
i have noticed that.

one time one ring didn't even ignite. all i had to do was turn them off then on again. just something to be aware of!

·
-not a mod-
21,149 Posts
Its been down to 27F here and havent had any problems. Only had problems with the connections at first, so I soldered them together, and they have been fine since.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,617 Posts
Yes, this has been known and warned since their release. They just need to warm up. Try switching them off, and if they are still dim, show them some cozy warmth with your headlights for a minute.. that should do the trick. Lots of things don't function properly in the cold. Think along the lines of your fingers trying to grip the freezing steering wheel.

JL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, I just installed mine today and noticed the exact thing. The temperature around here is around 45-50 so I don't think its *extreamly* cold. Nevertheless, one ring lights up right away, while the rest take about 7-8 seconds for them to fully brighten. One of the rings however, was dead on arrival (DOA), but as always, Matt, has sent a replacement ring. (within minutes of me emailing him, talk about great customer support!!)

They look sweet though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
KINetics said:
One of the rings however, was dead on arrival (DOA),
God do not say that. It's taking over a week for fedex to ship mine from CA to my house in NH. If I get them on Saturday and they do not all work I am going to have a brain hemmorage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have that too

However, I don't remember if it did that when I first got them on. Just noticed it this weekend when the temp went down to 15 degrees and I had them on for about a month now.

·
Site Sponsor
18,468 Posts
Very astute observations gentlemen.

Yes, we had warned this but you're right, it does happen at a higher rate on SOME installations.

We are addressing this for the Wheelpower Phosphyre Halos product right now.

The reason isn't the mercury, but it was a good assumption. It has to do with ionization and other electrical properties we don't want to get into:)

You can do little things to improve this,
1) turning on your lights to heat up the headlight
2) soldering your connections to insure ALL the energy necessary reaches them
3) DRIVE FASTER!!!! Shaking them causes light because when you move the lamp it passes through the earth's magnetic field and generates a weak electrical current and the phosphor glows from this energy. So, the faster you drive, the brighter they would get. Miniscule effect of course.

There are ways to overcome this or improve it, we are doing that.

·
Help me Help you!
956 Posts
umnitza said:
3) DRIVE FASTER!!!! Shaking them causes light because when you move the lamp it passes through the earth's magnetic field and generates a weak electrical current and the phosphor glows from this energy. So, the faster you drive, the brighter they would get. Miniscule effect of course.

Matt,

i dont think the ppl on this board will have a problem following that advice ;) they will probably thank ya for it.

Maybe some of them can even use it for the cops if they are ever caught speeding :D

·
Help me Help you!
956 Posts
umnitza said:
I can't believe it took so long for people to notice that line;)
That's probably because they're too busy staring at the lightning pics.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Great looking product and i would luv to get rid of the lightboxes but i'd prefer the excellent service and warranty that you provide for the gen v dde.

more :thumbup: for you matt

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,316 Posts
Seems like DDE's are finally getting the respect they deserve, a lot of members now have them; now I'm thinking about getting myself a set...whats the price + installation?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$299.99 for the DDE Lightning's
$7.00 for shipping
$100.00 for installation

Seeing one of the eyes wink at you because the idiot wired it wrong? Priceless... :thumbup: don't mind me... i'm drunk and in my own world right now :jab:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts