E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I got nothin'
Joined
·
283 Posts
You may want to see my 99 DIED

In the words of Elmer Fudd

Be VEWY VEWY CAHFUL! Me and my air flow sensor just went at it and it knocked my car out like Tyson in the first round!

See the thread: My 99 Died w/50K for more on what that little sensor can do or NOT do if you muck with it.
 

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
Try searching the junkyards. I went on google.com and looked up salvage yards and junkyards and actually found couple of good sources. Basically, you email them the car or part you're looking for and they send you a quote. You'd be surprised on how many newer BMWs are sitting in salvage yards getting parted out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: You may want to see my 99 DIED

Dunno what's up with your MAF but basically you car can run without a airflow sensor. So give me some details.... What OBDII codes did you get. What did the service department say? A mass air sensor won't take a car out. It may cause it to stuble in cold weather or extreme hot temps. But basically if you unplug it, your car will still run since your in closed loop most of the time not open loop.

klangford said:
In the words of Elmer Fudd

Be VEWY VEWY CAHFUL! Me and my air flow sensor just went at it and it knocked my car out like Tyson in the first round!

See the thread: My 99 Died w/50K for more on what that little sensor can do or NOT do if you muck with it.
 

·
I got nothin'
Joined
·
283 Posts
It was still plugged in, only it all came 'apart' and the sensor was lying in the engine bay w/no airflow going across it. Car stalled if started. Once it was all put back together (with intake) it worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually it is a general trouble shooting technique to unplug the MAF

It's even in BMW's own manuals to do this. Basically they say if your car is stumbling, if unpluging the MAF makes the prob go away, to replace the MAF but try cleaning it first. They use a special spray chemical cleaner. But this is only one thing about the MAF, there are others which I don't care to spend time explaining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WELL that's a whole other thing man.

Did you bang a hammer on it or something? How the hell did the sensor come apart? Loose tubing?

klangford said:
It was still plugged in, only it all came 'apart' and the sensor was lying in the engine bay w/no airflow going across it. Car stalled if started. Once it was all put back together (with intake) it worked fine.
 

·
I got nothin'
Joined
·
283 Posts
Yeah, loose Clamp ring. 5 days earlier I 're-seated' it because it was rattling/rubbing. Then I also 'polished' it, it is the law! Must've missed a screw!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah if it is still connected and your driving this will cause probs

The car will think it's stationary or has a blocked air intake according to airflow and could cut the car off if the air sensor wire voltage doesn't change.

What do you mean it was rubbing? Rubbing what? rattling? A mass air sensor doesn't rattle, it has no moving parts and connects to rubber components so what could be rubbing and rattling? I'm confused :dunno:



klangford said:
Yeah, loose Clamp ring. 5 days earlier I 're-seated' it because it was rattling/rubbing. Then I also 'polished' it, it is the law! Must've missed a screw!
 

·
I got nothin'
Joined
·
283 Posts
The air intake itself was rubbing against headlamp assembly, had to be re-positioned.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok back to the original post

Anyone?:dunno:

I sent out a junk yard request but no luck yet. Oh BTW looking for mass air sensor from a 330, 530, X5 3.0 or Z3 3.0 or Z4 3.0.

Thanks
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top