BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know, can you give me detailed instructions on how to do so?

I could bring it to the dealer but they will probably charge me a ridiculus amount for wheat seems like a 5-10min job.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
Bring it to the dealer and they program it to turn it off. Cost me like $50 to have them turn it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
go to the dealer.. it costs like $40-$50.. they need to change the settings in your car's computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
damn 40 to 50 $$$$. thanks a lot. wel i didnt have mine on so i told them to turn it on. so they did...for free. then i didnt like them so i told them to turn it off....they did..and guess what...for free..... :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
i hate those (drl)
i made sure they were disabled upon delivery.

if you want them on, take it to the dealer (like everyone else said)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
DrFunk, the Canadian dealer won't do the programming. Cause is illegal not to have DRL for cars that build after 1990.

You can get it down in Seattle. And drive the car down and back. Couple of my friend did it. Or you can get a bypass module.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Full Time Hit Man said:
DrFunk, the Canadian dealer won't do the programming. Cause is illegal not to have DRL for cars that build after 1990.

You can get it down in Seattle. And drive the car down and back. Couple of my friend did it. Or you can get a bypass module.
Isn't the DRL option something that cannot be changed if the programming is 'Canadian-spec'?

If this is the case, wouldn't having the DRLs disabled in Seattle mean that the entire programming was switched from 'Canadian-spec' to 'US-spec', which does allow the DRLs to be switched off?

And wouldn't altering the car's entire programming from that of one country to another, effectively void the warranty in the originating country?

Might be something to consider since it wouldn't be too hard for a service tech to figure out once the car was hooked up to a computer at any dealership for warranty work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
ruteger said:
Isn't the DRL option something that cannot be changed if the programming is 'Canadian-spec'?

If this is the case, wouldn't having the DRLs disabled in Seattle mean that the entire programming was switched from 'Canadian-spec' to 'US-spec', which does allow the DRLs to be switched off?

And wouldn't altering the car's entire programming from that of one country to another, effectively void the warranty in the originating country?

Might be something to consider since it wouldn't be too hard for a service tech to figure out once the car was hooked up to a computer at any dealership for warranty work.
i guess thats what the bypass module is for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
ruteger said:
Isn't the DRL option something that cannot be changed if the programming is 'Canadian-spec'?

If this is the case, wouldn't having the DRLs disabled in Seattle mean that the entire programming was switched from 'Canadian-spec' to 'US-spec', which does allow the DRLs to be switched off?

And wouldn't altering the car's entire programming from that of one country to another, effectively void the warranty in the originating country?

Might be something to consider since it wouldn't be too hard for a service tech to figure out once the car was hooked up to a computer at any dealership for warranty work.
paranoid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
withdrew said:
That's cute.

It's common knowledge that BMWNA does not have to honor warranty claims of cars built for other countries, i.e., a car built for Canada brought to the US. Most BMW dealers have a track record of denying this work because of the 'grey' market. You think the reverse isn't true in Canada if someone with a US-spec car tries to get warranty work up there?

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, trot on up to Canada, have your car reprogrammed to Canadian-specs, come back to the lower 48 and try and get some warranty work done here with a US-spec car that has been reprogrammed to Canadian-specs.

Better still, try to get the warranty work done at one of those prick NJ dealers who sound like they're among the worst in the country.

Do that before you call me 'paranoid', Wiseguy.
 

·
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
im sure if someone finds the fuse that runs the DRL's and just burn that , that it would work that way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
SIMON C. said:
DrFunk....You can't turn off the daytime running light at Canada, I think cops can issue a ticket for that.
I had my DRL's off with my last car, no tickets or problems...


The problems with the BMW is the headlight switch doesn't have a position that allows you to turn the knob for the DRL on & off(in addition to parking lights & zenon headlights).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Lol, you are just disable the DRL, not changing the whole car's program from Canadian to US.

We have the software in Canada, however is just locked. IF you know the technician really really well, they can do it here. Even the remote windows up can be done.

Is there, is just locked and against the law to do it in canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
ruteger said:
That's cute.

It's common knowledge that BMWNA does not have to honor warranty claims of cars built for other countries, i.e., a car built for Canada brought to the US. Most BMW dealers have a track record of denying this work because of the 'grey' market. You think the reverse isn't true in Canada if someone with a US-spec car tries to get warranty work up there?

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is, trot on up to Canada, have your car reprogrammed to Canadian-specs, come back to the lower 48 and try and get some warranty work done here with a US-spec car that has been reprogrammed to Canadian-specs.

Better still, try to get the warranty work done at one of those prick NJ dealers who sound like they're among the worst in the country.

Do that before you call me 'paranoid', Wiseguy.
DUDE RELAX.
the only reason i said that is because i think your assessment of disabling daytime running lights is a little too much. it's probably along the same lines as programming a key-memory setting or an alarm setting. i could be wrong, but i don't think it involves CHANGING THE COUNTRY SPEC OF THE VEHICLE FROM CANADIAN TO US...it's a damn light bulb. you could take the light bulb out after all, and not reprogram the country spec.

again, it wasn't a personal attack, so chill out.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top