BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Anyone here gone lightweight pulleys and provide some feedback

Im looking at the Rogue pulleys as i dont want to underdrive the alternator (fitting a sub/amp)

I installed a lightweight crank pulley on my Z and noticed slightly faster rev up, but the Rogue and other brands for the M3 dont incl. the crank, so not sure they'll have as much affect

Plus the install on the M3 looks like a bit of kent in having to remove the radiator - on the Z you just remove the sump tray and slide the breaker bar on, 5 min job natch! :idea:

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I don't know of anyone whose done it but from what I've read the power gain is negligible.

Turner Motorsport also do a kit that doesn't underdrive the alternator and I'd trust their quality over Rogue's any day.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't know of anyone whose done it but from what I've read the power gain is negligible.

Turner Motorsport also do a kit that doesn't underdrive the alternator and I'd trust their quality over Rogue's any day.
what's wrong with their quality? I thought they were supposed to be alright.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've kept my m3 stock. It's got sufficient power to lose my license way too quickly- especially in Victoria where our strict road rules are the benchmark standard of the world.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if i can get the same gains as i did on the Z id do it.......i have a mechanic mate who can drop the radiator pretty easily

and when i say gain, i dont mean power, more so that feeling of a lighter engine with a quicker rev up - ideally id love to the 4.10 diff mod, but dont know anyone in Melb personally who i can trust to open the diff

re rogue vs turner, i always thought rogue would be the better option too

any personal experience with these two companies aaron?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
if i can get the same gains as i did on the Z id do it.......i have a mechanic mate who can drop the radiator pretty easily

and when i say gain, i dont mean power, more so that feeling of a lighter engine with a quicker rev up - ideally id love to the 4.10 diff mod, but dont know anyone in Melb personally who i can trust to open the diff

re rogue vs turner, i always thought rogue would be the better option too

any personal experience with these two companies aaron?
Lightweight flywheel and carbon tailshaft make massive gains in loosing weight in the drivetrain and you can still do 300+kmh.

Yes I did my pullies on my M3 but didn't make as much gain as the turbo did :woot:

I have a second set of pullies if you want to buy them. I know they work and they are light

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lightweight flywheel and carbon tailshaft make massive gains in loosing weight in the drivetrain and you can still do 300+kmh.

Yes I did my pullies on my M3 but didn't make as much gain as the turbo did :woot:

I have a second set of pullies if you want to buy them. I know they work and they are light
doesnt the M3 have a carbon tailshaft? not to beat a dead horse here, but even my lowly Datsun had one for reduced drivetrain loss

thanks for the offer but id prefer to buy new pulleys in a kit with the correct belt size - im not keen on used mechanical parts

ill give this a go, i need to order some new sway end links from turner anyway - yep my second set now

gotta love BMW OEM parts FAIL

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
doesnt the M3 have a carbon tailshaft? not to beat a dead horse here, but even my lowly Datsun had one for reduced drivetrain loss

thanks for the offer but id prefer to buy new pulleys in a kit with the correct belt size - im not keen on used mechanical parts

ill give this a go, i need to order some new sway end links from turner anyway - yep my second set now

gotta love BMW OEM parts FAIL
Um maybe read what I wrote again "I have a second set of pullies if you want to buy them" They are brand new. I bought two sets of them.

And no the M3's have a heavy 2 piece steal tailshaft. And when you say Datsun I assume you mean 350Z and I'd be suprised if they had a carbon shaft, and even if they did they still fail because they are heavy as and under powered

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Um maybe read what I wrote again "I have a second set of pullies if you want to buy them" They are brand new. I bought two sets of them.

And no the M3's have a heavy 2 piece steal tailshaft. And when you say Datsun I assume you mean 350Z and I'd be suprised if they had a carbon shaft, and even if they did they still fail because they are heavy as and under powered
Uh-oh, now you have opened up pandora's box. How dare you say anything about the superior 350Z. I mean, it takes 5 minutes to change the pullies. Doesn't that further prove Japanese engineering > German Engineering?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yep carbon composite

even the RX8 has one

didnt think it was such a big deal

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That video is chopped anyway. They edited out the 3 gearbox replacements they did on the side of the track to make it round the whole course:lmao:
no, that's a japanese driver - he wasnt doing 10 launch controls in a row to impress his american neighbour or make full sik youtube videos

more impressive than the ring time, is the fact the subframe didnt break up like a salada biscuit

btw, my smg box and clutch failed at 50K from daily driving :shhh:

·
me
10,376 Posts
no, that's a japanese driver - he wasnt doing 10 launch controls in a row to impress his american neighbour or make full sik youtube videos

more impressive than the ring time, is the fact the subframe didnt break up like a salada biscuit

Your box didn't fail? Unless I read wrong it was only your clutch which is somewhat a consumable IMO.

IMO it is to early to tell about any failures with the new gtr yet. The m3 obviously stood up to the many laps of the same track without an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys

Anyone here gone lightweight pulleys and provide some feedback

Im looking at the Rogue pulleys as i dont want to underdrive the alternator (fitting a sub/amp)

I installed a lightweight crank pulley on my Z and noticed slightly faster rev up, but the Rogue and other brands for the M3 dont incl. the crank, so not sure they'll have as much affect

Plus the install on the M3 looks like a bit of kent in having to remove the radiator - on the Z you just remove the sump tray and slide the breaker bar on, 5 min job natch! :idea:
Hey Domino_z

i have an underdrive pulley set on mine - got it from Rogue. i got the street kit, with no change to the alternator, and it has definitely made a difference to the throttle response - much lighter, quicker to respond to changes in the pedal, and does feel slightly quicker to rev up.

both the Turner MS and Rogue Engineering produce quality products and have both used their pulley sets in their Grand-Am Championchip cars, which when you look at their specifications i would say that they are the very close in terms of improvement to the engine.

this link to Turner shows the difference on dyno for their kit.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/dyno/dyno_e46pullies.jpg

in terms of fitment on the m3, you should only need to remove the radiator fan housing to gain enough access to the pulleys etc... its about a 2 hour job all up if you take your time with it.

FYI, i have am in the process of starting a company importing items from Germany and America, and have arranged terms with both Turner Motorsport and Rogue Engineering amongst several other top end companies (Vorsteiner, Hartge, Tar-ox, Supersprint to name a few). our website is under construction at the monet and should be up within 6-8 weeks, but i can give you a price for the pulley sets if you like? i am about to put a post up detailing who we get our products from, prices are really good at the moment with the exchange rate... :craig:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Domino_z

i have an underdrive pulley set on mine - got it from Rogue. i got the street kit, with no change to the alternator, and it has definitely made a difference to the throttle response - much lighter, quicker to respond to changes in the pedal, and does feel slightly quicker to rev up.

both the Turner MS and Rogue Engineering produce quality products and have both used their pulley sets in their Grand-Am Championchip cars, which when you look at their specifications i would say that they are the very close in terms of improvement to the engine.

this link to Turner shows the difference on dyno for their kit.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/dyno/dyno_e46pullies.jpg

in terms of fitment on the m3, you should only need to remove the radiator fan housing to gain enough access to the pulleys etc... its about a 2 hour job all up if you take your time with it.

FYI, i have am in the process of starting a company importing items from Germany and America, and have arranged terms with both Turner Motorsport and Rogue Engineering amongst several other top end companies (Vorsteiner, Hartge, Tar-ox, Supersprint to name a few). our website is under construction at the monet and should be up within 6-8 weeks, but i can give you a price for the pulley sets if you like? i am about to put a post up detailing who we get our products from, prices are really good at the moment with the exchange rate... :craig:
awesome, just the feedback i was after

ive never underdriven before, does underdriving the power steering make the steering feel any heavier?

yeh sure, send me a price for this kit.......
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PPK-S54

or the rogue street, whichever you're stocking

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Your box didn't fail? Unless I read wrong it was only your clutch which is somewhat a consumable IMO.

IMO it is to early to tell about any failures with the new gtr yet. The m3 obviously stood up to the many laps of the same track without an issue.
you forget the smg pump which failed

im sure BMW Aus havent - they paid for it

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
domino_z ... it sounds like your either bored, frustrated or annoyed (you describe me what your feeling) with your E46 M3 and German Engineering in general.

No offense mate, but if you are really impressed with Japanese engineering at the moment; go sell your M3 and buy a Japanese car. :eek:

Sorry man, but stop making the rest of us feel like our cars are engineering malfunctions on four wheels. It makes me question whether you appreciate your car? :idea:

I definitely respect the GTR and along with it, Japanese Engineering in general - and that's without a single doubt; but as CortinaD said; it is essentially to early to tell.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
domino_z ... it sounds like your either bored, frustrated or annoyed (you describe me what your feeling) with your E46 M3 and German Engineering in general.

No offense mate, but if you are really impressed with Japanese engineering at the moment; go sell your M3 and buy a Japanese car. :eek:

Sorry man, but stop making the rest of us feel like our cars are engineering malfunctions on four wheels. It makes me question whether you appreciate your car? :idea:
I'm sure he regrets with every passing moment what a mistake it was for him to sell his 350Z. I mean, he brings it up nearly every post.
I wish I had a 350Z...:drool:

1 - 20 of 172 Posts