E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if so, what did you do? and how many total watts are you running???

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MCD007 said:
I run a small starter battery and a yellow top for stereo.
how many watts are you running total? so you have two batteries? got any pics of them installed?

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool if you can, thanks! :D

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
This thread really doesnt make that much sense to me. Upgrade electrical system or run a new battery?!?!? You realize that your stereo is only feeding off of the battery when the car is OFF. So, you could do both or either. Upgrading the electrical system (new alt) is going to give you more power to push while the car is ON and thats IT. Will take away a couple hp but no biggie.

AdamR

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
digitalgm said:
This thread really doesnt make that much sense to me. Upgrade electrical system or run a new battery?!?!? You realize that your stereo is only feeding off of the battery when the car is OFF. So, you could do both or either. Upgrading the electrical system (new alt) is going to give you more power to push while the car is ON and thats IT. Will take away a couple hp but no biggie.

AdamR
some shops do recommend upgrading the alt if you decide to push 1k+ watts. one shop only recommended getting a yellow top battery for my car for whatever reason. ive talked to a few people and they say its not good to put a lot of stress on a stock electrical system...dont get me wrong here, im not going to push 50000watts or anything, just wanna be careful with my baby...;)

·
Im The Man
1,030 Posts
The yellow top will deep cycle when drained off, plus it acts as a big capacitor when current dips. So it does help depending on your system.

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
When you realy want to be safe do as i have

1) yellow top added
2) power relais added. It cuts the connection between the 2 batterys that you normaly have trough your alternator. (if you run
out of power you can always start your car with the oem battery that wil not be empty)
3) connect all ice equipment to the new yellow top.
4) add a capacitor close to the second battery to give fast elektrick power to the woofer.

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
hehe thats the advantage of my european model. You guys have the battery in the rear. I have my oem battery in the front. So the space in the rear was there on the right side where usa guys have their battery. So i put it where yours is now

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
of course you could maybe put it in the front :) dont know if you have room under the hood. My oem is on the passengers side close to the front windows under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts