BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get one for free to try on my car, i was wondering if any of u guys have it and have any likes or diskikes about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically, pretty decent gains, nice sound?? i've use their products on my hondas before and i was happy wit them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kewl deal....hey, if its free and it AEM, then its all good..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
AEM makes the best intakes. They test different lengths, diameters and even whether or not to use one pipe or two. They also have a zirconia based powdercoat which reduces heat soak. AEM is the first company to use sound waves to further increase power. I wish they made an AEM V2 for the 330. Check out there products at www.aempower.com
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
688 Posts
Mrbanshee said:
AEM makes the best intakes. They test different lengths, diameters and even whether or not to use one pipe or two. They also have a zirconia based powdercoat which reduces heat soak. AEM is the first company to use sound waves to further increase power. I wish they made an AEM V2 for the 330. Check out there products at www.aempower.com
The V2 is a venturi tube inside of a traditional tube. It increases power slightly through a pressure differential, but has nothing to do with sound. They use two pipes so that people can use their bypass valves, and the zirconia coating (while a great idea) is used because many of their honda intakes reach over the hot engine to draw air, which tends to heat up the pipe more than shorter intakes.

While AEM makes good intakes, I don't think it's fair to say they make the "best" intakes. Our Carbon Fiber intakes (for example) retain less heat than their zirconia coated aluminum, and is .5" larger in diameter. (3.5" tube vs. 3" tube)

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm, i was just looking at their site...the part number for my 325i says "excluding HID" hmmm, so i guess it wont fit right..?:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
BFP said:


The V2 is a venturi tube inside of a traditional tube. It increases power slightly through a pressure differential, but has nothing to do with sound. They use two pipes so that people can use their bypass valves, and the zirconia coating (while a great idea) is used because many of their honda intakes reach over the hot engine to draw air, which tends to heat up the pipe more than shorter intakes.

While AEM makes good intakes, I don't think it's fair to say they make the "best" intakes. Our Carbon Fiber intakes (for example) retain less heat than their zirconia coated aluminum, and is .5" larger in diameter. (3.5" tube vs. 3" tube)

-Dan
I understand the venturi tube but it is not in the V2 intake. If you had the venturi tube in the V2 intake it would mess with the acoustics of its design. There are two pipes because it gives two different sound waves. One sound wave does not affect its performance because it is a linear wave. With two waves you have a thin wave and a thick wave. A thin wave would become thicker as rpm increases, thus increasing horsepower. On the other hand, the thicker wave would increase torque. Therefore the intake gives you a wider powerband and a higher peak power. This wave design can be seen in muscial organs and in 2-stroke pipe design.

A bypass valve is only another air inlet. It is placed higher up on the intake pipe so water doesn't get sucked into the engine. If the bypass valve can only be used on the V2 intake, how is it being used on the regular single tube cold air intake.

There is no Honda or Acura that has an intake that draws air over the engine. If this was so how would the hood close? Especially, on the Civic Si, Integra and even the Del Sol. Another thing is that the intake manifold entrance is at an angle so you would have to bend the entire pipe over the engine. I can't even think of a car that has an intake system, stock or aftermarket that reaches over the engine.

Carbon fiber does retain less heat because the heat can be passed through it alot easier than a zirconia powder coat aluminum pipe.

Finally, a larger diameter intake pipe doesn't mean you have increase power and torque. For example, if I install a 4.5" exhaust on a 3.0L NA BMW I would lose power and torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,156 Posts
never knew aem intakes were bmw compatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Concerning :Mrbanshee "I can't even think of a car that has an intake system, stock or aftermarket that reaches over the engine.
"
It's called Ram Air. Ex. Trans Am
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
688 Posts


That looks pretty far over the engine to me.

Can you please explain the physics behind sound waves producing HP/Torque, down to the combustion level? I have no idea how this works, and I'd be really interested to know. I can see how a venturi would produce more HP/TRQ (We were actually thinking of doing a Venturi intake), but I have never heard of sound waves having anything to do with power.

-Dan


Mrbanshee said:


I understand the venturi tube but it is not in the V2 intake. If you had the venturi tube in the V2 intake it would mess with the acoustics of its design. There are two pipes because it gives two different sound waves. One sound wave does not affect its performance because it is a linear wave. With two waves you have a thin wave and a thick wave. A thin wave would become thicker as rpm increases, thus increasing horsepower. On the other hand, the thicker wave would increase torque. Therefore the intake gives you a wider powerband and a higher peak power. This wave design can be seen in muscial organs and in 2-stroke pipe design.

A bypass valve is only another air inlet. It is placed higher up on the intake pipe so water doesn't get sucked into the engine. If the bypass valve can only be used on the V2 intake, how is it being used on the regular single tube cold air intake.

There is no Honda or Acura that has an intake that draws air over the engine. If this was so how would the hood close? Especially, on the Civic Si, Integra and even the Del Sol. Another thing is that the intake manifold entrance is at an angle so you would have to bend the entire pipe over the engine. I can't even think of a car that has an intake system, stock or aftermarket that reaches over the engine.

Carbon fiber does retain less heat because the heat can be passed through it alot easier than a zirconia powder coat aluminum pipe.

Finally, a larger diameter intake pipe doesn't mean you have increase power and torque. For example, if I install a 4.5" exhaust on a 3.0L NA BMW I would lose power and torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
That example has a bypass valve which messes with the flow of the sound waves. I'm done talking. I am Sorry, if you don't understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
wait go on about the sound waves

I am curious too how it can increase power. I hope you are not referring to perceived power. Cuz louder intakes give the perception of power.

I would really like to understand this concept. Sounds like ground breaking stuff you got their.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,660 Posts
i have the short ram AEM on my car and i love it. sounds real good when you get on the throttle. can tell a little difference in pickup when you are over 3K. as far as the CAI, i do not believe it will fit with the xenons unless you relocate the ballasts i guess:dunno:
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top