BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone but me have upgraded torque converters in there car??
if not ita must do! just by doing this upgrade your 1/4mile time drops by more than a second. its time that you like your automatic!!

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
1/4 mile times are for teenage boy racers. the track lap is the only time that should mean something

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
:werd:

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
1/4 mile times are for teenage boy racers. the track lap is the only time that should mean something
Oh come on lol!!

There are whole industries dedicated to the 1/4 mile and they are not teenage boys. Just because its not your paricular cup of tea doesnt mean its not a valid measuring point for performance.

So how many times do you take your xi on the track:hmm:

OP:
Anyway arent you complaining that your car is all messed up and always having problems and you did crazy mods to your trans.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
my point was that the 1/4 mile time is such a small part of a car's overall performance. you can make your car run 13's if you want, but if you dont touch the brakes, suspension, steering, etc its worthless. so many people (teenage racers) are only concerned with 1/4 and 0-60 times, yet its a small part of the equation. there is more to a car than its engine. btw, the xi doesnt go on the track; the S430 is more suitable for that job.

·
Registered
817 Posts
My car already has one - hehe

Actually I'm talking about my 2000 540iT with the sports package. I believe it was the sports package option (vs being part of a non sports 540iT) that added from the factory a high stall torque converter. You do not really notice in full automatic as the car starts in 2nd gear. Put in in sport mode so it starts in 1st gear, stomp on the gas and you smoke the tires (with DSC off of course).

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
my point was that the 1/4 mile time is such a small part of a car's overall performance. you can make your car run 13's if you want, but if you dont touch the brakes, suspension, steering, etc its worthless. so many people (teenage racers) are only concerned with 1/4 and 0-60 times, yet its a small part of the equation. there is more to a car than its engine. btw, the xi doesnt go on the track; the S430 is more suitable for that job.
Completely understandable, but the thread was not talking about anything else but 1/4

I just dont understand some of the comments on this board and why they have to be negative from the start all the time.

So if I want to ask how to lower a 1/4 mile time in a thread do I have to follow up with a question about my suspension brakes etc ever single time?

Sure there is more to the cars performance, but that was not what was asked so I didnt see the point in your post.

Tell all those guys that Drag race top fuel cars for a living that the 1/4 mile is stupid.

Are you bringing an S430 to the track to make a point? I am sure you have done work on it and its probably pretty good at the track but you have to admit that its not what that car was designed for.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
More than one second?:yikes: Are you sure? Where and how much?
level ten, 2,000 including the torque converter, valve bodies, and software tuning.
That money would be better spent by putting it towards forced induction.
im not trying to be negative towards the OP or his goal in 1/4 times. the point of my post was that for how much hes looking to spend on a torque converter, valve bodies, etc could be well spent somewhere else. is it really worth dropping 1 sec for that kind of money? maybe. but why not just skip that step and go FI?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh come on lol!!

There are whole industries dedicated to the 1/4 mile and they are not teenage boys. Just because its not your paricular cup of tea doesnt mean its not a valid measuring point for performance.

So how many times do you take your xi on the track:hmm:

OP:
Anyway arent you complaining that your car is all messed up and always having problems and you did crazy mods to your trans.
i had a rear diff prob. not from the tranny but from drifting all the time, dealer told me if i wanna drift, to do it when its raining or get a lsd

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
im not trying to be negative towards the OP or his goal in 1/4 times. the point of my post was that for how much hes looking to spend on a torque converter, valve bodies, etc could be well spent somewhere else. is it really worth dropping 1 sec for that kind of money? maybe. but why not just skip that step and go FI?
Haha that is not what you said at first, you said 1/4 mile times were for teenage boy racers lol but thats ok.

I agree with what you said in this post it was the first one that was negative.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OR GET A DIFFERENT CAR!
i know, i know. everyone says that, but i just cant give up this beautiful interior for a *** car. i just love the smoothness with this car and the way it drifts around corners with great control and beautiful balance. its just sooo balanced. "its like putty in my hands!"(top gear). so. since i love this car that much.. im going to get all the flaws out and make this thing monster!
(dont make fun.. thats just what i wanna do)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1/4 mile is just a method i use for acceleration facts. i dont like 1/4mile races. i love the track and handling the car. its just one thing you have to remember. no matter how great your car handles, if it doesnt accelerate out of a turn quick enough. your killing your lap time... and if you cant get to the other turn at optimal speed that your using 100% of your handling capability, what does the handling do for you if you cant use it? i just want to get my car faster, im already happy with the bilstein sports, with eibach spring and sways. and i think that my brakes are pretty adequite once i put the slotted rotors and high performance pads.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Some people prefer it that way, and others my want to track but are not able to, like me :). I wish I had a track near by that I could race on a lot, but all I have here is an 1/8 mile, and I dont do that. Although I am curious on what my stock 328 would run. And you track you S430? Why not the xi? It feels like my 328 will outhandle my S430. Maybe I am wrong?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts