BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What did you pay? Im just wondering and trying to think ahead. Wondering if to get a good used one, swap it to standard, or rebuild the original.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Geez, don't even think the thought or she'll hear ya and grenade the reverse drum! You can get hexed so easily uttering such crazy talk.

Now, should the rare opportunity arise, example: you attempt to change the lifetime fluid and breach the holy seal... wrath shall be sent upon you... (idiots).

There seems to be several rebuilders out there that can ship a properly rebuilt trans to the installer or you. I've spotted pricing with core exchange you end up in the $1,300-$1,600 range. They seem to talk a good story with quality and warranty. You still need to factor the install costs as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually I've changed the fluid 3 times already, cars at 180k so that's why im asking. I like to be prepared I guess. I also never heard of the reverse drum breaking on an xi I have researched that to be only in the ZF automatics so you don't have to worry there lol.

I have found a couple places that either rebuild the trans or ship rebuilds out. I was just wondering if anyones done this before.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One place called me back said its between $2,800 - $3,000 which is what I figured. That's with them removing and installing and rebuild etc.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Actually I've changed the fluid 3 times already, cars at 180k so that's why im asking. I like to be prepared I guess. I also never heard of the reverse drum breaking on an xi I have researched that to be only in the ZF automatics so you don't have to worry there lol.

I was joking about the fluid change and of course approve. The GM reverse fail was also sarcastic but there has been talk of it here...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809

1 - 9 of 9 Posts