BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who run 19s in NYC, do you ever run into issues popping tires or bending wheels? I'm looking at picking up a M3 with 19s but am worried about hitting some unexpected potholes.

Do you just drive more carefully or just go with 18s?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had issues running 18's when I lived in NY I lived in Queens, and I drove all over the state. The city destroyed my wheels I had to have them repaired once a year.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
been driving on 19's for 2 years now and have never damaged or bent a wheel..ever.

I drive carefully but not to the point where i do not enjoy driving. The ride can be harsh at times but I can deal with it because i really do love how the wheels accent the car.

For the winter i run 18'' wheels with winter rubber, and the ride is smoother, but obviously cause i have more rubber underneath me.

If it were me obviously i'd go for the 19's from a looks perspective thats the only choice

·
Registered
720 Posts
No issues here with mine. I run DPE 19s

·
You can't fix stupid
818 Posts
I bent a rim in westchester of all places which left me stranded on the side of the road for 5 hours waiting for a tow truck :(

I don't really take my car to NYC unless I am passing through but you do really have to be careful. My M3 is a weekend car but if you plan to drive more than that I would recommend getting a spare tire for it. I still find it amazing that the M3 has no run flats and no spare. The bottle of goo they give you will not work if your sidewall has a 3" gash in it :tsk:

When I did bend the rim the rim repair guy sugguested I run a higher pressure in the tire - what that will do is transfer the bump to the shock rather than the rim. Makes sense and I have not had any issues since and have also heard the same advice from other sources.

I run 38 front / 42 rear in my OEM ZCPs. The ride is not that much rougher.

But don't kid yourself about the rims....it is not an SUV and when you see a big pot hole slow down!

·
WHEEL GUY
319 Posts
It's ny , of course you will bend a wheel.
stop driving on west side hwy at 70, stop going on northern state at 85, keep pressure up a little & you might survive.
We fix bmw wheels many times a day, many DPE & IFORGED 19" of course & we always hear that you guys drive it like it a bmw.
Just increase pressure 2 psi per inch that you increase diameter & it will help.
Also stop at us twice a year, the hell with your dentist

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Its harsh, but not bad if you have quality wheels. I've NAILED some really bad **** with my Rays and somehow they're still in perfect structural condition.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You just gotta be careful, however there are some holes on highways that you may not see if its dark, so dont speed on roads you dont ususally drive on...g luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
driving lowered with wheels for approx 8 years in nyc only had one bent/cracked wheel.
this happened when i had the e36m.

but seriously, its doable. that day just wasn't my day.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've been dumped on 19s for a while.

just...take your time, watch those potholes, avoid those... unpaved streets. you'll get the hold of it!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess NYC has better roads than London (at least Central London anyway). Generally I wouldn't want to drive on 19s in London. Feels bad enough on my 17s - no idea how M3 drivers or those with M Sports suspension cope!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Im in the Bronx and i have 19 axis Penta and have never bent a rim and i ride hard you just have to know the road and watch out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts