BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
dont get graphic. get a fully digital or parametric one.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
learthworml said:
dont get graphic. get a fully digital or parametric one.

No offense, but some of the best EQ's on the market are graphic....(the Image Dynamics IDQ-31 is one of them, as are many of the Rane pieces that have been converted)

Parametric EQ's are very powerful, but are difficult to understand and apply properly in the hands of someone who doesn't use one.

Digital EQ's can be either parametric or graphic or both in one - and digital isn't always the best solution b/c you then have to rely upon the built in DAC....

etc, etc...

·
Registered
209 Posts
most if not ALL DAC chips are not propietary, they are either made by texas instruments , max, etc., and they are all standardized , meaning that the sampling rate of conversion will be the same across the board on any chipset
so if it works, it will work like any other DAC in the market

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
randomtask976 said:
most if not ALL DAC chips are not propietary, they are either made by texas instruments , max, etc., and they are all standardized , meaning that the sampling rate of conversion will be the same across the board on any chipset
so if it works, it will work like any other DAC in the market
While it's true that they all convert a digital signal to an analog one, please tell me you don't truely believe that all DAC's sound the same...

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
Let me expalin why I like parametric EQ's better and fully independent digital EQ's I should have said. Graphic EQ's are great for the average system, but are often limited in their tuning capabilities, besides the top end audiocontrol digital graphic EQ's. Lets say you have seas lotus mids, which are hot right now, and you want to get rid of the huge sharp peak at 4.5k at that only. That would be hard with a graphic eq, but with a parametric you can set the q to the exact amount you want. As far as digital EQ's go, I meant fully digital independent channel, L/R, Highs/Mids. So you can EQ the mids and tweets and l/r separately, which are very important for imaging and tonality. I think graphic EQ's were great, but are outdated. My ideal EQ is an h900 or a working Alto drive 30.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm guessing by the question you might want a bit more info than yes or no. The answers so far are all speaking of high-end products. I would stick with something like that or at least a reputable name brand. NO 1/2 DIN, under-dash, 400 watt, built-in alarm, "freekenizer" boosters allowed!

I have a Fosgate OEQ-2 which could be called quasi-parametric. It has the ability to shift the center frequencies up and down a 1/2 octave, but no Q adjustment.

It also has RCA and balanced inputs. I used the outputs of the stock BMW deck directly into the balanced input. Works fabulous. It also has a high output and low source impedance (good for driving a strong, more noise resistant signal to the amp).

Lastly, I've yet to hear a car audio system that couldn't use some EQ! You either have one or you need one. Regardless how good the gear is, the mobile environment really does a good job of screwing it up. A good EQ can help. My humble opinion, of course!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
learthworml said:
Let me expalin why I like parametric EQ's better and fully independent digital EQ's I should have said. Graphic EQ's are great for the average system, but are often limited in their tuning capabilities, besides the top end audiocontrol digital graphic EQ's. Lets say you have seas lotus mids, which are hot right now, and you want to get rid of the huge sharp peak at 4.5k at that only. That would be hard with a graphic eq, but with a parametric you can set the q to the exact amount you want. As far as digital EQ's go, I meant fully digital independent channel, L/R, Highs/Mids. So you can EQ the mids and tweets and l/r separately, which are very important for imaging and tonality. I think graphic EQ's were great, but are outdated. My ideal EQ is an h900 or a working Alto drive 30.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but parametrics are not the end all be all either! I think what many people don't understand is that while they can be more powerful, if you don't know what you are doing, you can do more harm then good.

Also, parametric eq's often have very few bands - if you start dedicating bands to take out little peaks here and there, you are going to run out of EQ really fast. Many also can't over lap, so to fix some flaws, you can ruin other areas.

If graphic eq's were so bad and "outdated" do you really think that AC would have developed all of their new digital eq's to be 30 band graphic units with two bands of parametric or alpine would have put independent graphic eq's on all channels of the H700 and H900?

The deal here is that EQ's (whether parametric or graphic) both have their benefits. Your best bet is a combination of both, that way you can take care of most flaws with the graphic eq, then come back around with some finishing touches with a parametric - this is how many people who compete tune their systems.

Of course there is always one way to skin a cat - and neither are wrong. The nice thing is that the dawn of the digital processor has allowed the combo of both types in an affordable package.

So everyone should know the tradeoffs and pick your own poison :thumbup:

The other thing to remember is that an EQ is ONLY a finishing touch. If you have very large cuts or boosts, there is probably something wrong with your system (bad phase, x-over point, etc). And it's generally always better to cut then it is to boost.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
rcurley55 said:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but parametrics are not the end all be all either! I think what many people don't understand is that while they can be more powerful, if you don't know what you are doing, you can do more harm then good.

Also, parametric eq's often have very few bands - if you start dedicating bands to take out little peaks here and there, you are going to run out of EQ really fast. Many also can't over lap, so to fix some flaws, you can ruin other areas.

If graphic eq's were so bad and "outdated" do you really think that AC would have developed all of their new digital eq's to be 30 band graphic units with two bands of parametric or alpine would have put independent graphic eq's on all channels of the H700 and H900?

The deal here is that EQ's (whether parametric or graphic) both have their benefits. Your best bet is a combination of both, that way you can take care of most flaws with the graphic eq, then come back around with some finishing touches with a parametric - this is how many people who compete tune their systems.

Of course there is always one way to skin a cat - and neither are wrong. The nice thing is that the dawn of the digital processor has allowed the combo of both types in an affordable package.

So everyone should know the tradeoffs and pick your own poison :thumbup:

The other thing to remember is that an EQ is ONLY a finishing touch. If you have very large cuts or boosts, there is probably something wrong with your system (bad phase, x-over point, etc). And it's generally always better to cut then it is to boost.
Well said. I guess when I meant outdated I mean non independent L/R mid/tweet graphic eq's, some parametrics are non independent also so I should have been more specific. I agree though, it can be more harm than good in most cases. The h700 and h900 also have parametric eq's, which I personally prefer. You are right, they are hard to use unless you know what you are doing. I think if you do, parametric digital EQ's can get you the most accurate sound. I will let you know how my drive 30 turns out. Hope it doesnt have noise.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
In the end, any eq requires a professional with quality test equipment to properly tune any equalizer that is digital, analog, parametric or graphic.

I think the standard is the 1/3 octave narrow band EQ, such as the audiocontrol EQT or the Image Dynamics ??31. Who needs more flexibility than that? :dunno:

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
599 Posts
Parametric and graphic equalization both have their place in the car audio tuning world. In my opinion, the recent Audiocontrol line of digital EQs have the greatest flexibility in these areas. They allow for 30 band graphic eq. independently across two channels, 2 parametric equalization bands centered around user-set frequencies, and the nifty line driving features of all their products.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
djabaley said:
Parametric and graphic equalization both have their place in the car audio tuning world. In my opinion, the recent Audiocontrol line of digital EQs have the greatest flexibility in these areas. They allow for 30 band graphic eq. independently across two channels, 2 parametric equalization bands centered around user-set frequencies, and the nifty line driving features of all their products.
We're audiocontrol whorz :bow:

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
djabaley said:
I need to get around to installing my DQT gosh darn it
Audiocontrol makes great eq's. If the digital ones had more flexible crossovers, I would probably pick one up. I prefer and active setup with fully adjustable crossovers. DQT is a nice unit, good choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts