BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyz im planning on buying this 323ci 2000 and it's an automatic for $25k with 13K miles. I know that an automatic is not good enough but does anyone have a 323ci automatic that can share their experience? Or I can forget about this 323ci auto. and look for something else. I can't find a 5-speed so how do you like your automatics?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
A lot of people here have 323 autos. A fair number of people that got autos regret the choice. I would suggest you keep looking until you find a 5speed.

Tim

·
1,101 Posts
i like my auto- its practical. in my slow 323ci im not gonna race anybody. and the step-tronic is fun too. If the phone rings or im in traffic im on automatic.

if i had an m3 or at least a 330 thats a different story.

over all im happy with the auto (step)

·
Registered
185 Posts
ain't a damn thing wrong with getting an automatic, I don't know what the fuss is about getting manual....i'm sure it's probably a little more speed or fun, but for the wives, they prefer automatic

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh, and I think you should shop around some more, a 2001 325ci with that mileage should only fetch $23000, while the same year 330ci should be around $27000 (these are avg prices on ebay)...unless you are not in the US, then I don't know...

·
Registered
259 Posts
smarty said:
oh, and I think you should shop around some more, a 2001 325ci with that mileage should only fetch $23000, while the same year 330ci should be around $27000 (these are avg prices on ebay)...unless you are not in the US, then I don't know...
A 2001 325i with 13k miles will fetch a higher price than $23000. I've got 28k and my trade-in value is around $24,000.

Regardless, make sure you find the exact car you want - don't settle with something that's easy and right in front of you. Make sure you have EXACTLY what you want, or you'll always find yourself regretting...damn buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
83 Posts
driven both.....5-spd does have it's place but my auto in "SD" mode kick'z azz because the shifting in my opinion shifts precisely to my taste especially when I want it to down shift......I've taken it to the twistiez and love every shift it does for me in "SD" plus at the end of the day when traffic is heavy and I wanna sip on a cup of joe......I still can :thumbup:

however, each of us is different and u are too so look at all the pro'z and con'z of each.........I almost made the mistake of getting a 5-spd.........j/k...

-twinT

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a 2000 323ci, I do regret getting it as an auto but it was a deal I couldnt pass up, 28k with 11k miles on it with the aero kit, sport package, wing & chromed wheels, that was about 2 years ago. If its an awesome deal do it but now I would want anything other than a stick. At the time i didnt care though I just wanted to pimp, Now I wish i had a stick so I could put all these hondas in their place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
twinturbomoped said:
driven both.....5-spd does have it's place but my auto in "SD" mode kick'z azz because the shifting in my opinion shifts precisely to my taste especially when I want it to down shift......I've taken it to the twistiez and love every shift it does for me in "SD" plus at the end of the day when traffic is heavy and I wanna sip on a cup of joe......I still can :thumbup:

however, each of us is different and u are too so look at all the pro'z and con'z of each.........I almost made the mistake of getting a 5-spd.........j/k...

-twinT
Kool thanx..But I have one question...what do you mean when you say "SD" mode?? And I do have a tendancy to also drink (water,soda) while Im driving. And I dont know how to drive standard :dunno: which is embarrasing :eek: so I really dont wanna ruin the clutch on a beautiful german car. I dont understand the Steptronic but I'll figure it out since it is an automatic. But we'll see. Thanx twinT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MIAMITOPAZ said:
i like my auto- its practical. in my slow 323ci im not gonna race anybody. and the step-tronic is fun too. If the phone rings or im in traffic im on automatic.

if i had an m3 or at least a 330 thats a different story.

over all im happy with the auto (step)
Hey your reply made me think that the auto (step) aint so bad after all. Yeah very true it aint that fast compared to the 330 and that should be a manual for me,...but the thing is, I dont know how to drive standard...but I do wanna learn, and not ruin the clutch. Like I told twinT, his automatic info made me say "hey I guess it aint so bad if you wanna enjoy some drinks while driving and tossing my head around looking at the ladies." But I dont see anything wrong with the auto now.
Thanx MIAMITOPAZ

·
Registered
998 Posts
i bought my car Sept 2002 with 19k miles for $25k from a family friend. Options include Sports package, and premium package. What are the options in that car?
i think with $25k, u could find a 325Ci with similar options. $25k is just too high for a 323Ci rite now. Or u could try to bargain down to like $22k - then i think it would b ok.
Getting a step does have its advantages - u could multi-taks more!! and if u wanna make it faster, just get an gruppem intake, shark injector, and exhaust..and u're pretty much set for the basic perf. upgrades.
anyhow, it's a BMW!!! :thumbup: hope this helps.. :)

·
Banned
938 Posts
CHARLY!! wsup dawg... Bro I got an auto and im cool with it... Its a lot more practical and especially livin in the area it saves you the constant annoying shifting... You should be able to find a 2001 325 for about $23-25 in la area... Shouldnt be too hard as long as you dont want a lot of options on it (like premier package which is totally useless IMO)... I would suggest not even gettin the sport package and just gettin springs and rims on your own... YOU CAN DOIT!!!

(BTW OT but talk to Anon and roll down to Hermosa Beach Wednesday night, it should be goin off)...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
13k miles is pretty low and that's good.

But for 25k you could find a loaded 328 auto or even a stripped 330 manula if you look hard enough. Do not settle with $25k for a auto 323. It's way too much. 4 months ago my coworker bought a CPO 328i loaded for real with NAV and auto for 22,900.

Look for a 328 for less than that or even stripped 330 5sp for around that price, give or take.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont regret my auto, but thats a high price for a 323ci, I bought mine 2yrs ago for $24000 w/20k on it, just look around first before you buy it.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
If you REALLY want to know whether or not to buy it, learn to drive a straight drive first, and then test drive a BMW manual. I had a 99 323i auto (pre-steptronic) and I loved my sister's 325Ci step, until I got my car that I have now. I didnt know how to drive a manual either and I had about 36 hours to learn well enough to drive it to school. I put over 200 miles on it in less than 2 days, not even going more than 5 miles from my house.

In the end, I LOVE my manual. And talking on the phone and eating aren't that hard once you learn how to drive it. I have eaten Subway while going through stop lights and stopping on hills. Steptronic is fun, but IMO a manual is SOO much more fun, especially if you live in an area that has some back roads.

BTW, SD is sport drive.

·
Para-Magic
682 Posts
step

i have step, this car was the 1st automatic ive owned. I race in auto-x and race in d-stock against 325's, 330's and other d stock cars. I have won my class at many times, against 5spds and auto's alike. slow/fast has nothing to do with the transmission and everything to do with the driver. i love the auto and the ease of use in traffic. If you dont drive a stick, learn and compare for yourself.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: step

bmwerkes said:
slow/fast has nothing to do with the transmission and everything to do with the driver.
I disagree. I have had a step 330 and now have a stick 330 and I can tell you from experience that while the driver definitely plays a role in handling the car, the transmission means A LOT.

An equally good driver in an auto and a stick car will be faster in a stick. It is mechanically quicker because of the lack of a torque converter.

Talking about autocross is a different story, driver means a lot, but as far as slow/fast, manual is on top.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got my license driving stick...all my cars were stick. But I live my Auto/Step Trans. I you are all about racing, track and 0-60 times then you want a stick.

But if you talk on the phone, drink starbucks and sit in traffic, you'll appreciate having the option. I don't regret it. I don't care about racing ricers...I just laugh and think how glad I am that I didn't get an IS 300.

You might wanna check and see what you can get a 325/330 for...if not the 323 is cool.

http://autotrader.com/findacar/resu..._on=n&make=BMW&address=90274&search_type=used

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest im not the racing kind of person but I know that manual you get a better performance than an auto. I never tried a manual, but hearing from these responses about a step, I might consider to get it since it wont hurt me at all. I'll Mod it cuz the 170hp does bother me coming from a bmw. And Im gonna be buying this 323ci because I dont have it all $cash$ and the e46 does look good nomatter what. Yo B dood I thought yours was manual...dont lie to me now jk-Alright guyz this looks good for me now and im not afraid to buy an automatic so when and If I get this 323ci im gonna post the picture up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts