E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just washing my car the other day and decided to check the oil level on my 330ci. I have never had an oil change since I got it last September and I only have 7K miles on it. I notice that the oil dipstick has become somewhat rusty looking. Is this normal? Anyone else see this in their own cars?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keeferno said:
I've had my car for over a year now and done a couple oil changes. My dipstick is still like the day I bought it.
So do you think that maybe some moisture has leaked into my engine? I can understand that dip sticks can change color over time due to temperature but I have never seen it rusty in color like that. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a few tiny spots of rust on my stick as well. I believe, in my case, that it has to do with the fact that my car sometimes sits entire weekends now (I drive the wife's car when the weather is like this :) ) The longer it sits, the more chance moisture will collect on the dipstick rod (which is steel and will rust). If it bothers you (like it does me), rub it with a piece of aluminum foil and a little water - takes it right off.

Oh, and drive your car more :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.