BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is closer to the driver on the right than on the left? It's that way in every e46 I have been in, not too bad but slightly annoying.
I test drove an Integra when they very first came out and it was bad like that, all of them, worse than in the e46. I am surprised because the 3 series is so ergonomic otherwise.
I also noticed today (driving my first e46 coupe, a 2006 on loan for the next several days) that there is a LOT less headroom than in the sedan.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hmm ill have to check but the 3 e46s I drove never came at me like that.

Also yes even though a coupe and sedan look alike they are different vehicles with different bodies.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,624 Posts
I also noticed today (driving my first e46 coupe, a 2006 on loan for the next several days) that there is a LOT less headroom than in the sedan.
that's because the sedan it taller. if you have the sunroof shade pulled it will seem shorter inside. if you drive a M3/Coupe without the sunroof it gets more room. what you think about the doors opening going from a sedan to a coupe?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Most cars that I know of have this "angled" setup where the steering axis is angled toward the center of the car. I would also like to know why.

·
Registered
289 Posts
its all about less travel for your right arm from the shifter to the steering wheel for those intense togue battles... thats why the Integra wins the touge everytime, the steering wheel is closer to the shifter! :eeps: :yikes: :eeps:

nah I think the real off-center measurement is very minor. Consider they have to fit in the room for expansion of the side airbags, also the steering rack can't make a straight shot back to the driver because of the body gets in the way with the wheel well and what not, so there has to be variance there. I also wonder if they did testing and found people whacked their knees off of the wheel with it over 1" to the left? :eek: Crazy Germans!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts