E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice/tips/suggestions to take apart the seats and carpet in my 330ci?

I know the car is quiet enough, but damn, won't it feel nice to be about as quiet as a 7 series (perhaps even quieterif i use a few layers of Brown Bread (better than Dynamat Xtreme) Besides, I'm installing a system so i need this...although admitedly my frameless windows on my coupe probably will be the culprit in making it NOT as quiet as a 7 series....

My friend with a 350z (who can't stand the road noise in his car..nice car nonetheless) and myself will be DIY -ing in 2 weeks.

During the install I'll post up pics and writeups about what the quirks and widgets that a person needs to take apart EVERYTHING....(seats, carpeting, door panels, etc. etc.)

:thumbup:

Anyway, the original question still stands...anyone try this before?
Any suggestions before I take the plunge?

Samster

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Uggg, too each his own but it would be painful for me to add weight to my car. Should be fun to take everything part, good luck! If you are looking for an added challenge do a tech article for the site, how-to for the install and a final review would rock!

Tim

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,649 Posts
We have pretty thick sound insulation in the floor and roof of our cars. most people opt to dynamat the doors and parts of the trunk including the rear deck to cut down on noise. Floor and roof might be overkill and you would be adding quite a bit of unneccessary weight.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
jun14scr said:
.. us alpine white brothers gotta stick together. haha. :D

has anybody successfully taken out the insulation between the engine bay and the cabin? :dunno:
Hell yeah, alpine white sedans own! :) You talking about the gray insulation inside the cabin?

Tim

·
INDEED
1,115 Posts
how much weight could Dynamat possibly add?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm adding .4 lbs per square foot...

.4 lbs per square foot is alot of weight?

I'm assuming people who say that aren't interested in I.C.E. setups then....

Roughly I will use about 36 square feet. I would be adding 14.4 lbs. not a biggie in my opinion.

PLUS, i DO think that doing the floors and doors would help a lot...in the road noise AND the music clarity.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tim330i said:
Should be fun to take everything part, good luck! If you are looking for an added challenge do a tech article for the site, how-to for the install and a final review would rock!

Tim
That was what I was planning Tim...Id be proud to have my name up there on the Tech part of the board...Hey do i win a cracker if I do this? :D I'm gonna charge up and use up the entire 128 MBs on my digital camera ...once its done how would i send it to you guys? via email? Text and the pics?

Please expect alot of pm's from me while I do this...Maybe a bit of help when it comes to the doors and side armrests, since you guys have done that before....(Coupe DIY taking apart trim)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: I'm adding .4 lbs per square foot...

BimmerSamster said:
.4 lbs per square foot is alot of weight?

Roughly I will use about 36 square feet. I would be adding 14.4 lbs. not a biggie in my opinion.
I was thinking the same thing....to me, taking it apart and putting it back together without breaking anything or creating a bunch of rattles would be the tough part..... I think the whole weight thing is silly....14.4lbs? who worries about that? go on a diet if weight is that much of an issue....

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Re: Re: I'm adding .4 lbs per square foot...

Jano said:

I was thinking the same thing....to me, taking it apart and putting it back together without breaking anything or creating a bunch of rattles would be the tough part..... I think the whole weight thing is silly....14.4lbs? who worries about that? go on a diet if weight is that much of an issue....
Taking everything a part is really easy and it goes back together nicely if you take the time to do it right. I worry about 14.4 lbs all the time. Saving weight is no different from bold on mods, who really cares about 3-5 hp? 3-5 hp doens't really make that much difference,but after a while it adds up. I can't loose lb I am a stick already :)

BimmerSamster said:

That was what I was planning Tim...Id be proud to have my name up there on the Tech part of the board...Hey do i win a cracker if I do this? :D I'm gonna charge up and use up the entire 128 MBs on my digital camera ...once its done how would i send it to you guys? via email? Text and the pics?

Please expect alot of pm's from me while I do this...Maybe a bit of help when it comes to the doors and side armrests, since you guys have done that before....(Coupe DIY taking apart trim)
Shoot me an email with the write up and pictures!

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.