E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
has anyone driven both a Benz S500 and an M3?how could you compare them?I know it's 2 totally different cars...but I would like to hear about this comparison!

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Dude, those are totally different cars. I have driven both and there is a world of difference. First, compare the S to the 7er and not the M3. The S is a lot more comfortable, much more room and seating. Feels like a nice couch. The M3 on the other hand, is rock solid stiff and a blast to drive. I have not owned an S but I do own an M3.

AdamR

·
P.I.M.P.
2,459 Posts
if you're interested in thier accel figures look at their respective magazine times to get an idea....probably better then someone describing it....as for the ride quality....logic would tell you that MB would be much more luxurious feel to it....

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
M3 Ride - Sporty and stiff
Benz Ride - A couch with a V8

M3 Handling - Superb
Benz Handling - Not too bad but I would say that they could improve in this department. I would rather have a 7er

M3 Seating - Sucks
Benz Seating - Everyones comfortable

M3 Acceleration - Stunning
Benz - Not too bad, but it is a couple tons :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
My father has a S500 and my brother has the M3 so I have driven both cars and I don't know if this would be a fair comparison. But I have to say that the S500 is very comfortable and I think this was the MB intention when they built this car. I didn't like the S500 too much though because it looks better with my dad driving than me. When I first drove the car I thought I was flying an airplane. Too many damb knobs and buttons!!:confused: The M3 was a great car and drives like its on rails! I think that this car is more suited for someone my age.:thumbup:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Due to gearing the S class accelerates slowly.
I regularly drive an S55 AMG and I always feel better going back to my car. Oh yeah, and MB seating is REALLY uncomfortable.

·
Registered
841 Posts
my mom has a S 430 but we did test drive a s500. the seats are very very comfortable. the leather feels smoother and softer. the cabin is alsovery very quiet. once i almost fell alseelp driving my moms car. S 500 accelerates faster than the 745 but the bimmer should handle better after its a bimmer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
s500 slower accel. Top end is higher though...

sl500 - did you see that in person or is that from magazine figures? I've driven a 745Li in sport mode against a s500 (longwheel base) and beat it by a fair margin from stop, until 80kph at which point I was a car length ahead. Slowed down after that bc i didn't want to lose my licence going 20 over posted limit! =)

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
I dont know where you are getting this data from. The merc is 0-60 in 6.1 seconds whereas the 7er will top it with a 0-60 of only 5.9 seconds. Plus, having driven both, the 7er is definetley a better handler and quicker at higher speeds IMO.

AdamR

SL500 said:
my mom has a S 430 but we did test drive a s500. the seats are very very comfortable. the leather feels smoother and softer. the cabin is alsovery very quiet. once i almost fell alseelp driving my moms car. S 500 accelerates faster than the 745 but the bimmer should handle better after its a bimmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts