E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only saw DIY for manual transmission fluid change. Has anyone done it for steptronic or auto? How many bottle do you use? Is it even necessary for us auto owners compare to manual owners? Please share some input and experience.

TIA,
Charlie

·
devGOD
2,473 Posts
i read somewhere that you're not suppose to change it that the fluid is good for like 100k miles or something

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I heard it is bad & will damage the tranny if you havent changed it in first 30K miles.
Something about particals that got clugged in the filter recirculating or something. If you changed the fluid every 30K miles that it is supposed to be good

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
gokcer said:
I heard it is bad & will damage the tranny if you havent changed it in first 30K miles.
Something about particals that got clugged in the filter recirculating or something. If you changed the fluid every 30K miles that it is supposed to be good
yes, that's what matt from umnitza said. if u have more than 30k miles might as well leave it until it fails. my 323ia has 75k miles, but it shifts smooth as new and is extremely quick. 'ave just test drove a 328i manual an hour ago and it does'nt feels quicker than my car. anyway, as a result, of this i'm planning on selling my car next year. i really don't want to wait around until the tranny dies. now i know i'll never settle for an automatic bimmer again. :)

·
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
devGOD said:
i read somewhere that you're not suppose to change it that the fluid is good for like 100k miles or something
In the manual its lifetime... but that can't be good... look oil was to be changed out at 15k but I do mine every 5-7k

gokcer said:
Im over the 30k but wanted to do it soon. But I only found sites that have done it on manual not auto. :dunno:

This link below is for manual tranny.
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_tran_fluid.shtml

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
how many miles do you have? as said earlier the experts stated that if you mileage is beyond 30k miles, it's better left alone since it may produce tranny failure. i was thinking of doing it but after hearing this i decided not to. :)

·
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bimmerrocks said:
how many miles do you have? as said earlier the experts stated that if you mileage is beyond 30k miles, it's better left alone since it may produce tranny failure. i was thinking of doing it but after hearing this i decided not to. :)
I have 42k now but how can that be true that if you change it after 30k it can produce tranny failure :dunno: If BMW says its lifetime then why do people change it before 30k :hmm:

I had already changed my diff. fluid and will be doing coolant flush in the spring.

Anyone else know or done it?

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts

·
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
that's an awesome idea bro :thumbup: