BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
thas soo tight

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that insane? I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those. I'd never have to sit in traffic again :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thats crazy, do traffic lights have radio waves or something? Who ever figured that out is genious.

·
Help me Help you!
955 Posts
330Bimmer3 said:
Thats crazy, do traffic lights have radio waves or something? Who ever figured that out is genious.
it uses infrared signal (from article) so u dont have to worry about FCC and was originally used by fire trucks and emergency vehicles. Man that's my next mod! Maybe i can find some on ebay.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
Those will only work at intersections that use the infrared optical technology to preempt the signal. And then only at those with the older IR receivers that don't require an agency code to accept the request. Which is maybe one to three percent of the intersections out there. Hardly worth the money.

I'm a traffic engineer, I deal with this crap every day.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Slow323 you need to write an article on this product and submit it to people trying to buy that piece...if your right, thats a total waste of money.

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing as slow323....given the high cost of putting the sensors in the intersections ($20,000), many towns and cities have probably not invested in this technology. Also, every time i see a cop, ambulance, or fire truck go through an intersection and the light is red, the light doesn't change....they just slowly drive through the red light.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't seen a whole lot of places that have that IR technology. Usually it's just the pressure plates in road used to change the lights. What about NYC? I'd be willing to bet there are a ton there near mid town, times square.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
330Bimmer3 said:
Slow323 you need to write an article on this product and submit it to people trying to buy that piece...if your right, thats a total waste of money.
I'm right.

Jeremy152 said:
I haven't seen a whole lot of places that have that IR technology. Usually it's just the pressure plates in road used to change the lights.
There are no pressure plates in the roads. In most places (signalized intersections) there are loops of wire in the road that sense a change in inductance when a big metal object like a car sits on top of them. The IR thing is for a totally different purpose. The vehicle sensors in the ground are used to tell the traffic signal controller that someone is waiting for the light to change. So that when it gets around to it the light will change. The IR sensor lets an emergency vehicle tell the light to change RIGHT NOW.

Nowadays putting in the IR sensors costs about $9,000 per intersection and about $400 per vehicle equipped to use them. 20 years ago it cost 20 grand. Unlike Lightning DDE's, the prices have come down.

At any rate, getting your own IR emitter with the intent to ease your commute would be a waste of money since so few intersections are so equipped. Also, many new traffic signal controllers keep a record of when they were preempted, so if you got into an accident because you dicked with the signal timing I hope you have large financial resources for the civil lawsuit you will be facing, because they will be able to tell. And your insurance will be invalid in that case, as well. It's just not worth it for so many reasons...

Mainly it's just wishful thinking for the technologically ignorant. No matter what the websites selling this stuff say. Save your money for new wheels or something.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good lord - great explanation. So explain to me what those two rubber hoses are that are often taped half way across the road. Is that simply for counting traffic?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
Jeremy152 said:
Good lord - great explanation. So explain to me what those two rubber hoses are that are often taped half way across the road. Is that simply for counting traffic?
Yep, those rubber hoses are simply for counting traffic temporarily. You might also see them used to open or close an automatic door or gate. They are just hollow tubes attached to an air switch. When a car squashes it, the air pressure goes up in the tube and triggers the switch.

By the way, if the 2 rubber hoses are both the same length across the road (i.e., both just one lane wide, not one 1 lane wide and 1 two lanes wide) then your speed is being measured, too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts