E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting really sick of the rattles that come from virtually everywhere inside my car. :ben:

The rattles are very irritating and I'm guessing that the rattles come from the interior trims. When I hold down to the trim, the rattles will go away. I brought my car to the dealership yesterday, and they said there were no problems. So, does anybody know how to fix these rattles?

Thanks.

·
Banned
578 Posts
i think my right side passenger speaker shakes a little bit...i can especially hear it when i go over little bumps on the high way...oh well, its not that noticeable, good luck...just take it into the dealership :thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
330ci dave said:
i think my right side passenger speaker shakes a little bit...i can especially hear it when i go over little bumps on the high way...oh well, its not that noticeable, good luck...just take it into the dealership :thumbup:
There has been a problem with the passenger speaker rattling on 04 coupes. Just take it to the dealership and they will put a foam pad between the speaker and the car. Mine doesnt rattle at all now with the foam pad.

B8888KC: I would keep taking it back to the dealership until they fix the problem that they said isnt there. A new $40k car is not supposed to rattle. Most dealerships try to do as little as possible so it usually takes more than one trip for them to fix a problem.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn I hate the dealership's service. They had my car for 6 hours, and they didn't even fix a thing (other problems are that side mirrors won't move and speakers rattling - they said there were no rattles). I want my 6 hours back!

·
Registered
110 Posts
e a s y s o l u t i o n ...

there's a knob on the left - it's called "volume"...

just turn it all the way to the right.

[you knew someone was going to say it]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Eurochick said:
i hear cracking sounds from my interior trim and it's very annoying...does anyone know how to stop the cracking sound?
Interior panels are held in place by plastic push clips. Overtime, they may become worn and lose their holding strength due to the excessive vibrations caused by vehicluar motion, virabtions produced by your speakers, warming and cooling by varying climatic changes, by removal and replacement of your interior panels, etc...
Anyways, these pushclips, when worn enough, will creek in and out of the holes which help secure them in place. That's what causes the creeking sound. The best solution is to remove your interior panels which are causing the creeking and replace the push clips with new ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
smg-steve said:
Interior panels are held in place by plastic push clips. Overtime, they may become worn and lose their holding strength due to the excessive vibrations caused by vehicluar motion, virabtions produced by your speakers, warming and cooling by varying climatic changes, by removal and replacement of your interior panels, etc...
Anyways, these pushclips, when worn enough, will creek in and out of the holes which help secure them in place. That's what causes the creeking sound. The best solution is to remove your interior panels which are causing the creeking and replace the push clips with new ones.
thanks. i just bought my car in october and was wondering if it is normal for the cracking to being so soon?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eurochick said:
thanks. i just bought my car in october and was wondering if it is normal for the cracking to being so soon?
That's what I have in my car. And I bought my car in October, too. It's REALLY annoying. Dealership doesn't seem to care, though. I brought the car in to the dealership, and they promised to fix the rattles, but they didn't. And they had my car for 6 hours. DAMN!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thumper said:

there's a knob on the left - it's called "volume"...

just turn it all the way to the right.

[you knew someone was going to say it]
LOL actually I tried that too, but my speakers are rattling as well, and it's even worse!

I think there's no way out, huh?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Besides the interior trim, my rattles seem to come from somewhere inside the door panel, don't have a clue wtf is loose in there.....but yea replacing the clips sounds like a good idea for the loose trim. You're right tho, i'm pretty shocked a 04 is already developing these rattles...mine is still decently quiet and didn't start rattling until after 3 yrs....funny how i consider mine a "good one" since it took 3 yrs to start rattling....oh well, the little annoying stuff you put up with for that drive. Oh and heres a tip: if you feel urself goin insane from the rattling, cruzin with all ur windows down and hearing the sound of the engine/exhaust/wind will drown out those rattles ...makes the car feel solid again..works better than blasting the radio which leads to speaker rattling haha.

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeah my dealer says for the front speakers to put foam between the speaker and the metal. what i didnt notice until recent though is a rattle from my back seats, anyone have that problem or now what its about?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
that's just part of bmw's quality control you know? lol....my car had nasty squeaks and rattles the day i drove it off the lot. if you want rattle free by a jap car, that's the easy fix. this is prob. my 13-14th car i've owned, and all of my previous cars put together were better bulit inside than my bmw, it's really sad actually. my current beater, a 93 legacy, is quieter inside, no rattles anywhere.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Its been 3 years and I have noticed rattling inside on my 330ci 2001. FREAKING DRIVES ME INSANE. I have to increase the volume so I wont hear it. But it is still annoying. My rattles come from my driver side panel by the arm rest to the left. If I hold it down by the end where the arm rest comes close to the seat it stops. But once I let go...FORGET IT....ANNOYING!

How many clips are on those doors so I can buy and replace it myself?

BMW is a bunch of jackasses and I'm sure they'll charge me or some stupid tech say " The car is fine sir. I didn't hear anything"

Then I'm going to say "MORON!" I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
it doesn't really have anything to do with the plastic clips, 90% of the cars on the road have door panels held on with plastic clips, it's just bad quality, that's all....ever notice how quiet the interior is in, say a lexus? plastic clips on those. same as honda, etc, etc....

·
Registered
257 Posts
From what I have seen, the sedans are virtually rattle free. The coupes rattle because the frameless windows result in a less rigid cabin. The convertibles rattle even more. More flexing=more rattles.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a '01 and have had rattles for a loong time. I finally got fed up with them, 90% of them coming from the door panels. I don't like bringing my car to the dealership for stuff like this so decided to fix it myself. There's a DIY somewhere that shows you how to remove your door panel (it's part of the mirror install DIY I think in the tech section). I removed the door panel, bought some medium thickness felt with tape on the other side, cut them into little strips and lined the door panel with that. I also made little felt washers to go over the plastic clips that hold the door panel in place. After I did this, no more rattles from the door. Definately give it a shot if it bothers you, I know how annoying it can get because it's a pretty high frequency rattle that you can hear even through the music your listening to.

·
Senior Registered User
876 Posts
cls1000 said:
that's just part of bmw's quality control you know? lol....my car had nasty squeaks and rattles the day i drove it off the lot. if you want rattle free by a jap car, that's the easy fix. this is prob. my 13-14th car i've owned, and all of my previous cars put together were better bulit inside than my bmw, it's really sad actually. my current beater, a 93 legacy, is quieter inside, no rattles anywhere.... :rolleyes:
watch your language kid :banghead: :thumbdwn:

·
Read Only
12,638 Posts
try another dealership they can fix it

if window rattles it may be off the track. and if the speakers rattles they will put some kind of insulation around the speakers. to insulate it.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.