BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
modder fokker
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
showing products for 1999 323i.

This "Plug 'n' Play" unit connects directly to your factory BMW CD changer wiring and is controlled by your factory BMW radio! The PhatBox Digital Media Player essentially mimics a CD changer. This allows you to keep your original car stereo with its radio, cassette, or CD player functions and it lets you keep your dashboard intact. The advantage of installing a PhatBox is being able to store and play thousands of songs right in your car.
Features:

PhatNoise plays MP3, WAV, and WMA files
USB computer desktop cradle loads music files from your PC
Music Manager software is compatible with a Pentium II 200 mHz processor and 64 MB RAM used with Windows 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000, or XP operating system (Sorry not available for Mac's yet!)
PhatNoise Music Manager software CD-Rom included
20-gigabyte storage cartridge (holds roughly 5,000 songs)
"Plug 'n' Play" connection to the factory BMW CD changer wiring
Displays MP3 file names and ID3 tags

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: how do they connect it to the cd changer?

I don't think it daisy chains off the CD changer - it actually replaces it. The unit is virtually the same as the Kenwood MusicKeg that I got, and it is controlled by the same cable that would be used to control a CD changer.

Pmmeke said:
how do they do that?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
GT3, guy wiht m3 has that. ronnie with the acs coupe has the music keg. my question is, how does the MUSIC KEG work with the stock radio? does it at all? if it does how do you change the track???

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't believe the Kenwood version of the Music Keg works w/ the stock radio. That's why I believe Phatnoise still sells their own version specifically built for BMW.

bender said:
GT3, guy wiht m3 has that. ronnie with the acs coupe has the music keg. my question is, how does the MUSIC KEG work with the stock radio? does it at all? if it does how do you change the track???

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Pholks at Phatnoise have a specific version they sell for the BMWs. Kenwood OEMs the phatbox under the Kenwood Keg brand name. The BMW version comes directly from Phatnoise and includes a few additional features. It plugs into the existing CD changer cable via a Blitzsafe I-Bus adapter. The OEM head unit controls it just like a CD changer. However with greater than 6 "discs" and with the navigation issues of trolling through 100s (1,000s in my case) of songs, they have introduced SSA to assist. SSA produces voice prompts through the OEM head unit as you navigate through the songs using the station buttons. Check out www.phatnoise.com to see a demonstration.

It's definately a first generation attempt, but I have grown addicted to it. Takes a while to get used to the voice prompting, but after the learning curve it is quite easy to use. I just wish someone could mod a rear view mirror to hide a LCD display of track info (kinda like the V1 stealth install).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts